Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Beware of the forgery

(1/7) > >>

Dave W:
About 5 years ago a member of another forum was proudly showing off the Gibson and Fender counterfeits he was making from low end guitars and basses. I objected then and wondered when they would show up used, and now they have.

This one is listed on Reverb under Gibson basses. In fact, it's a cheapo Hamer Slammer that he capped and added a Gibson headstock overlay and logo.  At the time he named it the "Gibson EB Classic."  :rolleyes: To be fair, he's now added in the body of the listing that it's not a Gibson. Likewise with his other listings. But how much do you want to bet that these will be listed as the real thing in the future? I can see it now: rare! custom order! one of a kind! prototype!

Nocturnal:
I'm sure there are already quite a few fakes that have been sold as the real deal. Sadly this situation will happen by people that are very aware of what they are doing, and then others that won't have a clue.

Highlander:
Caveat Emptor is significantly more important when buying from afar...

I guess a request for a pot picture and the serial number would help...?

Was it Scott that commented that one or more of his Bach's are better than some of his original NR's...

It's a harsh world...

Has Uwe ever been stung by a ho masquerading as the real thing...? Anyone else going to come out here...?

gearHed289:
Well, there's THIS guy...

gearHed289:
And the "Gibson Discoverer".  :rolleyes:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version