Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Gibson Midtown Pickup Advice

(1/12) > >>

veebass:
I just received this glorious Midtown Sig (private purchase second hand).

The bass is in really beautiful condition (neck excellent), only issue is that the neck pickup sounds absolutely cr@p. In addition to the note we get a big, distorted echo and a wonderful feedback squeal at volume. Bridge pickup is clear as a bell. Sounds like the neck pickup is microphonic to me. Not quite the NBD I had hoped for.

I have reported it to the seller and at least at this stage he is willing to talk to me about repairing it or taking it back (on the other side of Australia). I would like to keep it if possible.
There is a guy who does wax potting locally, but he says sometimes it doesn't fix the problem. I have a look at the wiring and I will get him to remove the pickup and reinstall it or a replacement (looks a bit awkward in there).

First question.
What is a good replacement pickup at a reasonable price?
Are these ones OK?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allparts-Chrome-Humbucker-Neck-Pickup-for-Gibson-Epiphone-EB-Bass-PU-0416-010/223003028199?epid=1901847354&hash=item33ec042ae7:g:WJYAAOSw6WdXiSp5

Or rhis one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chrome-Alnico-5-Sidewinder-Style-Neck-Pickup-for-Gibson-EB-Bass-Etc-PU-EBA-C/223007714870?hash=item33ec4bae36:g:rS8AAOSw-ldZZCi3

Other suggestions?
Where can I get a genuine Gibson pickup?

Does anyone here have an SG Bass neck pickup for sale?

4stringer77:
I didn't know Artec made a mudbucker rated at 29K. Says it's a sidewinder too. If that's legit, it would sound like a vintage Gibson mudbucker. There's also the DiMarzio model one as an option. I don't think Gibson sells TB+ neck pickups separately. Not sure how the allparts compares. Personally, I'd try to return it and pick up that LPB-1 at Wild Horse in Sydney instead. Good luck either way.

gearHed289:
Beautiful bass. That Artec seems worth trying in my opinion.

Pilgrim:
Really nice looking bass. I also think it's worth trying to work with it.  Id try potting the existing pickup first, as you have little to lose.

Basvarken:
Yes, I second that. Try to wax pot it first.
An Artec Mudbucker or any other Mudbucker would not be a correct replacement.
Under the chrome plate there's a TB+, not a genuine sidewinder Mudbucker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version