Author Topic: Jo-El Sonnier  (Read 511 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Jo-El Sonnier
« on: January 13, 2024, 10:55:01 PM »
I don't think I've ever posted anything by Cajun/country singer Jo-El Sonnier. His signature hit was his 1988 cover of Richard Thompson's Tear Stained Letter.

I saw on FB that he's been on tour and that he was playing Saturday afternoon at the Llano County Opry in Texas.

Now this tonight.

Grammy Award winning Cajun and Country Recording Artist Jo-El Sonnier passed away Saturday evening at the age of 77, while on tour in Texas.

“Jo-El Sonnier had just completed an incredible show at the Llano Country Opry in Llano, Texas,” Texas Country Music promoter Tracy Pitcox said.  “He had entertained over an hour and ended with his signature ‘Tear Stained Letter’.  He received a standing ovation and I asked him to do ‘Jambalaya’ as an encore.  He performed a rousing rendition of that classic.  Jo-El mentioned that he needed to rest for just a few minutes before signing autographs.  Unfortunately, he suffered cardiac arrest and was air flighted to Austin where he was pronounced deceased.  It is never easy to lose a legend, but he truly spent his final day doing what he loved-entertaining his fans with his loving wife Bobbye by his side.”

I'm shocked and saddened.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Jo-El Sonnier
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 03:07:34 PM »
Sad, but a worthy way to go out as a musician - with a good gig behind you and people waiting for your autograph. Hopefully little pain for him too.

Rest jauntily in the eternal realm of the squeeze boxes!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 03:12:54 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 10:14:28 PM »
According to Offbeat Magazine, Jo-El Sonnier was born to French-speaking sharecroppers in Rayne, Louisiana.  That's about as Cajun as it gets.  I have seen a Cajun band or two in Louisiana, but never got to see Jo-El Sonnier, unfortunately.  I'm sure it would have been very enjoyable.  I'm sorry he has now passed away. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 11:24:16 PM »
Sad, but a worthy way to go out as a musician - with a good gig behind you and people waiting for your autograph. Hopefully little pain for him too.

Rest jauntily in the eternal realm of the squeeze boxes!

Oh, that is not good. Not good at all.

I've heard his Cajun album from early 2022, he was in excellent voice if not as strong as years ago. But I listened to all 6 videos from the guy who posted this encore. Jo-El was off from the start and deteriorated from there. He was obviously spent by the time of the encore. He should never have done it, but he wanted to satisfy his fans.

You're right, though, what a way to go.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 10:14:44 AM »
Well, cardiac arrests don't strike like lightning, there is often a history of ignored symptoms, it creeps up on you. Sad they couldn't help him then and there.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 09:35:24 PM »
Well, cardiac arrests don't strike like lightning, there is often a history of ignored symptoms, it creeps up on you. Sad they couldn't help him then and there.

I've read more today. The Llano Opry band's drummer and keyboardist immediately started CPR, local EMS and police were there very quickly, as was Life Flight, all to no avail. They certainly tried.

He sat for a photo shoot the day before at the museum in Brady, he was all smiles, even played a few songs. You wouldn't have known.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 01:37:44 PM »
I don't think I've ever posted anything by Cajun/country singer Jo-El Sonnier. His signature hit was his 1988 cover of Richard Thompson's Tear Stained Letter.

I saw on FB that he's been on tour and that he was playing Saturday afternoon at the Llano County Opry in Texas.

Now this tonight.

Grammy Award winning Cajun and Country Recording Artist Jo-El Sonnier passed away Saturday evening at the age of 77, while on tour in Texas.

“Jo-El Sonnier had just completed an incredible show at the Llano Country Opry in Llano, Texas,” Texas Country Music promoter Tracy Pitcox said.  “He had entertained over an hour and ended with his signature ‘Tear Stained Letter’.  He received a standing ovation and I asked him to do ‘Jambalaya’ as an encore.  He performed a rousing rendition of that classic.  Jo-El mentioned that he needed to rest for just a few minutes before signing autographs.  Unfortunately, he suffered cardiac arrest and was air flighted to Austin where he was pronounced deceased.  It is never easy to lose a legend, but he truly spent his final day doing what he loved-entertaining his fans with his loving wife Bobbye by his side.”

I'm shocked and saddened.

I love Richard Thompson.  That's a really cool performance. Thanks for posting.  I'd never heard of Jo-El.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 10:46:37 PM »
I love Richard Thompson.  That's a really cool performance. Thanks for posting.  I'd never heard of Jo-El.

Richard is seriously underrated as a guitarist. And the other band members in that video! Hiram Bullock and David Sanborn!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 06:48:09 AM »
In guitarist circles he tends to be a secret hero, a musician’s musician. But whenever someone mentions his name, his guitar playing is lauded as well.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 06:48:28 AM »
Richard is seriously underrated as a guitarist. And the other band members in that video! Hiram Bullock and David Sanborn!

It's funny that Thompson is so well respected and always appears on the questionable top whatever lists for guitarists, but so far from a household name.  I've seen him a number of times live and it's always so great.  He's pretty hilarious.

Here's a great cover Bob Mould did of Turning of the Tide, if you haven't heard it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 06:02:57 PM »
Wow. I didn't expect an obit in the NY Times (yesterday). He would be proud.

Jo-El Sonnier, Who Sparked a Revival of Cajun Music, Dies at 77