Author Topic: OLP is dead, long live Sterling by Musicman  (Read 1585 times)

Blazer

OLP is dead, long live Sterling by Musicman
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: OLP is dead, long live Sterling by Musicman
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »
I read about these on the EB/MM forum when they were introduced at NAMM in January. They're being made in Korea and Indonesia. IIRC the venture is licensed by Ernie Ball and owned by the Park family.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
I guess it are almost the same basses, but of course Sterling sounds much better than OLP. When OLP disappeared I already thought they would come up with something new.

Blazer

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:37:11 AM »
I guess it are almost the same basses, but of course Sterling sounds much better than OLP. When OLP disappeared I already thought they would come up with something new.

Err did you even see the website? Because it's obvious that OLP and Sterling are NOT the same instruments with a different logo, their basses come with active electronics and a far better more quality look than the OLP instruments.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 06:24:09 AM »
Yep, I took a look at the website. To put it in other words: Almost every brand, except Rickenbacker, has a cheap sub brand. When OLP disapeared it was obvious MM would come with something else. I like the quality of OLP and I haven't seen the Sterlings in real life, so I wait till I played them before I gove my opinion.

I didn't knew they are active, though, so thanks for pointing me out. The passive thing was the only thin I liked about OLP.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
Yes, they're definitely a step above the OLPs.

Here's an excerpt from Sterling Ball's comments in an EB/MM forum thread when he introduced the brand, in response to someone who thought he was "cheapening" his brand:

"If I ignore the copies of our stuff then how can I blame people who capitalize on our designs and efforts? By our inaction we have created an opportunity for them...

...You are dead wrong on who is making what for who. I am not involved in any aspect other than guaranteeing the quality. The Parks are paying for the right to make these guitars. For them. I dont sell them, collect the money, handle the returns. I am spporting the brand by giving the customers a quality choice instead of leaving it to the rip off artists."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »
The passive thing was the only thin I liked about OLP.
I even took out the active circuit of my MusicMan Stingray. It improved the dynamics (as far as I'm concerned)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:03 AM »
I read about these on the EB/MM forum when they were introduced at NAMM in January. They're being made in Korea and Indonesia. IIRC the venture is licensed by Ernie Ball and owned by the Park family.

I would assume they're being made by Samick. I bought my daughter a Samick "Greg Bennet Design" mini bass a couple of years ago and the quality was so good, I bought one of their acoustic guitars, which I love. Both made in Indonesia.  

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:07:58 AM »
Could be, but I don't think so. I really don't know who the Parks are, but I got the impression that they are actually manufacturers, not just having it made to their specs by someone like Samick.