Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Looking for a Hollowbody

<< < (2/14) > >>

bassilisk:
I have an Epi Jack Casady (34" scale) and it suits me to the ground. I don't play music requiring an aggressive tone, but I can attest to the versatility of the pickup. The 3 position varitone goes from a low output mellow setting (1) to a high output P bass plus setting (3) with an intermediate step up the tone ladder.

The construction of the bass is first rate, and the neck is nice and slim. The hardware - meh. The tuners were okay enough but the 3 point bridge didn't do it for me. The Epi version is not nearly as robust as Gibson's. I put in a Hipshot, which made life easier all around. This was a personal preference of mine and not strictly necessary. Babicz makes a fine upgrade as well.

New ones are right at your price point and used ones are a good deal IMO.

Among the hollow bodies currently available this is a model well worth checking out.
If you can't find one to try you can always buy one and take advantage of the 45 day return policy most retailers offer.

BTW - mine was brand new in a sealed box but a cosmetic second so the price was really right. After meticulously going over the entire bass the only cosmetic issue I found was the edges of the F holes weren't blacked out. Fixed that with a felt tip marker.

Pilgrim:
I'm officially a short scale hollowbody fan.

My list is:

Early 70's Univox 335-copy (30", staple pickups, sunburst)
Gretsch 5123 (32", lovely orange, Filtertrons)
Dean Psycho cabbie (30", Yellow with checkerboard sides)

I've had the Casady and it's a great bass but a big one, as well, 34" scale.

Of the list above, my recommendation would be the Gretsch 5123 or one of its relatives like the current 5442. My 5123 is about an inch deeper front to back than most hollowbodies, but it's very playable and has a super sound with the dual Filtertron pickups. I don't think anyone does hollowbodies better than Gretsch.

BTW, I recall that Dr. Bassman was a really big fan of the Epiphone Allen Woody bass, and I've heard many good things about them.

My recommendation would be "Go Gretsch, young man."  The 5123 series are around used in the $600 range, and they're that lovely Orange that only Gretsch does.

5123:

5442:

patman:
For the last few weeks my finger has been twitching on the Hofner Contemporary Verythin. $650 at AMS with case.

I have not hit it yet, because it represents a want, and not a need...(how I make financial decisions...weird, I know).

rexdiablo:
Thanks for all the input! Our guitar player is a Gretsch guy more frequently than not at this point, so if I got one too he'd be pleased as punch! I always forget about the midtown, for some reason- maybe just because I've never seen one in the flesh. And I've always been a fan of Epiphone, yet never owned one of their basses- could be time to remedy that!

I agree on the Warwick. I think they look great, until I see the headstock. Something just doesn't sit right with me.

I also play in a metal band, so that's where I get most of my agro tones taken care of, so I'm more likely to head to the thumpy, garagey end of things with this band...

Pilgrim:
I can honestly say I've never played a Gretsch bass I didn't like. Maybe that's why I have four of them. (One, the fabulous Cougar bass, was a gift...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version