Author Topic: Songs about the bad things about fame.  (Read 729 times)

Blazer

Songs about the bad things about fame.
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
As all famous people will tell you, fame comes at a price and that price is that one has to abandon their chances of having something of a private life. Fans will find out your private phone number and go to far lengths to meet their idol.

Worse still are the paparazzi, they exploit every means to get a scoop and are not afraid to resort to tresspassing and even burglary to get the stuff that will end up in the magazines.

Needless to say, there are a lot of Artists who wrote songs about that and I figure it to be fun to show those songs.

First up, here's John Lennon's "I found out" in which he speaks his disdain towards the Beatles' Fans who kept on showing up on his property seeing him as some kind of a saint.

If there's one artist who has had to deal with the media in the worst way over and over again then I guess it would be Michael Jackson. In the eighties he was featured almost daily in the tabloids and most of the stories printed were not true, so as a final request for a little peace he issued the single "Leave me alone" and the music video that came with him shows him as a living theme park.

And to close it off here's the man who's fax machine was tapped by the tabloid press which gave them an unwanted carte blanche look into his maritial problems, which became a bestseller and damaged the man's reputation in his own country to such an extend that when he won an Oscar for the score of Disney's "Tarzan" it wasn't even mentioned on Brittish news broadcasts or in the paper. This man also had to endure indecent proposals from female tabloid journalists, searching for some dirt they could publish. Finally Phil Collins had enough of it and wrote a song in which he told thise pesky tabloid reporters the truth. In "Wear my hat" he basically tell them "try living my life being pestered and see how long you can last." Also have a look at who appears in the music video that came with that song...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Songs about the bad things about fame.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 12:56:30 AM »
Thanks to Uwe I rediscovered The Who By Numbers and I hink it's one of the best Who-albums. It's only about the bad things of fame and Townshend dealing with it by lying, trusting nobody and boozing a lot.

Some excerpts:

How Many Friends:

I'm feelin' so good right now
There's a handsome boy tells me how I changed his past
He buys me a brandy
But could it be he's really just after my ass

He likes the clothes I wear
He says he likes a man who's dressed in season
But no-one else ever stares, he's being so kind
What's the reason

How many friends have I really got
You can count 'em on one hand
That love me, that want me, that'll take me as I am

When I first signed a contract
It was more than a handshake then
I know it still is
But there's a plain fact
We talk so much shit behind each other's backs
I get the willies
People know nothing about their own soft gut
So how come they can sum us up
Without suffering all the hype we've known
How come they bum us up

Succes Story (by Entwistle)

I may go far if I smash my guitar

Away for the weekend
I've gotta play some one-night stands
Six for the tax man, and one for the band
Back in the studio to make our latest number one
Take two-hundred-and-seventy-six
You know, this used to be fun

However Much I Booze

I see myself on T.V., I'm a faker, a paper clown
It's clear to all my friends that I habitually lie; I just bring them down
I claim proneness to exaggeration
But the truth lies in my frustration
The children of the night, they all pass me by
Have to drench myself in brandy
In sleep I'll hide
But however much I booze
There ain't no way out

They're All In Love

Hey, goodbye all you punks
Stay young and stay high
Hand me my checkbook
And I'll crawl out to die

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
Thanks to Uwe I rediscovered The Who By Numbers and I hink it's one of the best Who-albums. It's only about the bad things of fame and Townshend dealing with it by lying, trusting nobody and boozing a lot.

You got me prowling Youtube for these last night.  I liked this clip (and not just for the home decor):

;D

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:51:10 AM »
When asked to John which gold records he shot, he replied it were the Roger Daltrey solo records he played on:)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »
You got me prowling Youtube for these last night.  I liked this clip (and not just for the home decor):

;D

Yeah~ Great home decor! Coool vid! Machine gun looks fun.