Author Topic: I'm an idiot  (Read 3588 times)

ilan

• View Profile
I'm an idiot
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »
Last night I went to band rehearsal, don't know why but I decided to take my '75 P w/maple board that I had for 20+ years. I didn't take it out of the case for almost two years.

This was my #1 and only bass for many years and I then I got worried what if something ever happens to it, and decided to look for a backup. Yada yada yada, I own 16 basses - and the '75 is retired...

Then yesterday at rehearsal I realize, it's an awesome bass. I'm such an idiot for not playing it for such a long period.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

rahock

• View Profile
Re: I'm an idiot
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 05:36:09 AM »
I let my 70 P maple neck , that I've had since 1970, sit in the case for a couple years too. When I bought my 51P RI that was all I played. Then one day out pops the 70 and I fall in love all over again ;D.
I'm an idiot too ;D
Rick

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:09 AM »
C'mon guys, you know the wise dictum: a P is forever or get a P and you settled .
It's THE bass, imho.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
It's always good to pick up a bass you've let sit for a while. You rediscover what you forgot it has.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
bought my first love in 1972 new.  clearly very neglected.  played it thru v-4's and svt's  with some small distractions form Ric's and tele's exclusively thru 1981.  Feel in love with an ibanez  musician about then.  the p bassis a  great bass,  a  little thick around the neck but had it shaved down in 1983 by Vinny Fodera when he  was starting out and did some repairs to help pay the bills.  5 foderas later plus over 100 other toys my baby sits in a case....  GAS is  a bad thing sometimes...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
 I went through the same thing with my NR Thunderbirds, I retired them for almost two years. It's like telling the love of your life I love you, not touching them and locking them in a attic. About six months ago I broke them back out. Vintage basses you love are worthless unless you play them.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
+1 ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
You guys are idiots!  ;D

Sorry, had to be said. :)

On the otherside of that coin I will never get the rush of re-discovering how fantastic one of my basses is/was.

Scotts quote is accurate: Vintage basses you love are worthless unless you play them
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:53 AM »

Scotts quote is accurate: Vintage basses you love are worthless unless you play them

Yup.  I keep losing track of my '63 P among the 10+ other basses, but it always sounds good when I pick it up - including the 38+ year old flats on it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »
Last night I went to band rehearsal, don't know why but I decided to take my '75 P w/maple board that I had for 20+ years. I didn't take it out of the case for almost two years.

This was my #1 and only bass for many years and I then I got worried what if something ever happens to it, and decided to look for a backup. Yada yada yada, I own 16 basses - and the '75 is retired...

Then yesterday at rehearsal I realize, it's an awesome bass. I'm such an idiot for not playing it for such a long period.

Dude, you had my heart rate up with that post! I was fearing a horrible ending. LOL! Glad you like your P Bass.  ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »
Dude, you had my heart rate up with that post!

I was thinking the same thing!  ;D

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »
Ps are gooood  8)

I'm an idiot too. I know, who woulda guessed?
I've just put my '78 fretless P with Jazz pickup added into a pawn shop for collateral on a loan....for the 3rd time this year!!!
I'm playing a stupid game but hopefully I'll get it back ok again & keep her outa there for good.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:05:06 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:14 AM »
including the 38+ year old flats on it.

So the funk is on the gunk maybe? :D
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 01:16:21 PM »
So the funk is on the gunk maybe? :D

Qien sabe?  Those strings are old enough to be outside the knowledge of mortal man....even mortal man with a beer.  8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."