Author Topic: Melanie Safka RIP  (Read 436 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Melanie Safka RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 06:35:39 PM »
Please God, no.  Not Melanie.  They don't even know the cause of death, either.  Last night I watched a documentary about some obscure aspects of Woodstock.  Then today there is this terrible news.  RIP Melanie Safka.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 06:57:27 PM »
The most obscure thing to me about Woodstock is that Sha Na Na played there.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:52 PM »
The most obscure thing to me about Woodstock is that Sha Na Na played there.

This particular documentary had a number of clips I had never seen.  Overall, though, I think there were a number of misconceptions about Woodstock.  One was that Hendrix's performance was supposed to be great.  It wasn't, IMO.  Like the Isle of Wight concert, it pretty much sucked.  Hendrix thought so, too, from what I can gather.  In general, Woodstock was overrated.  Right now, however, I'm just unhappy that Melanie has died. 

To be fair, the lackluster performance at Woodstock really wasn't Hendrix's fault.  That Gypsy Sun and Rainbows band temporarily put together for Woodstock just didn't make the grade, period. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 09:17:10 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

soulman

• Just an old weekend warrior on his last outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 11:04:46 PM »
Many from our past are dying now making us all realize how much closer we are to our own end than to our beginnings.  Time to update our bucket lists.  RIP Melanie.
Surely some day my epitaph will read; "Don't mind him. He's just the bassist".

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 06:33:16 AM »
The most obscure thing to me about Woodstock is that Sha-Na-Na played there.

Huh, Sha-Na-Na performing a spirited “The Hop” was one of the pivotal parts of the Woodstock movie and what I liked - together with Alvin doing “I’m goin’ home (by helicopter)” - best about it. To this day, when I hear “The Hop”, I see Sha-Na-Na (kind of the Village People of their time) before me.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 06:48:15 AM »
Huh, Sha-Na-Na performing a spirited “The Hop” was one of the pivotal parts of the Woodstock movie and what I liked - together with Alvin doing “I’m goin’ home (by helicopter)” - best about it. To this day, when I hear “The Hop”, I see Sha-Na-Na (kind of the Village People of their time) before me.

I also like your subtle adding of hyphens to my quote.  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
My wife Floor went to a Melanie concert a few years ago.
It was one of the worst concerts she has ever seen.
She left before the end of the show.
Melanie didn't sing much. She talked most of the time. And not in a very engaging way.
When she sang it was not very good...

Floor was sad when she came back home from the concert. A childhood memory was destroyed basically.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 06:06:36 PM »
"No one here gets out alive..."
rip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 09:20:07 PM »
I also like your subtle adding of hyphens to my quote.  :mrgreen:

Ouch, though I did live in Manhattan for a while once (I liked moving to your hood more), I swear it was done without educational zest, I’m no spelling Nazi! When I wrote my answer, neither Shanana nor Sha Na Na looked quite right to me so I looked it up and then proceeded to correct my post, accidentally IN MY QUEST FOR WORLD DOMINATION also RUTHLESSLY ERADICATING ALL SPELLING TRANSGRESSIONS in ze quöte …

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:25:47 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 09:31:41 PM »
RIP Melanie

Oh my, how sad. I really loved that song as a kid, the innocent sex innuendo of the lyrics. Melanie wasn’t a great singer, but she had a voice.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 11:32:53 PM »

Wasn't Sha-Na-Na the first act in the movie? I only saw it once, in a theater when it first came out, so maybe my memory is wrong.

My wife Floor went to a Melanie concert a few years ago.
It was one of the worst concerts she has ever seen.
She left before the end of the show.
Melanie didn't sing much. She talked most of the time. And not in a very engaging way.
When she sang it was not very good...

Floor was sad when she came back home from the concert. A childhood memory was destroyed basically.

That's too bad. I don't think her voice was anywhere near its prime in recent years anyway.

She had been enormously overweight for years, so much so that I saw footage of her being propped up as she walked around. Lord knows I have enough health problems at normal weight, one can only imagine how all that extra weight affected her.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 03:52:13 AM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Dave, were you late to the movie because you were busy removing Che Guevara pics from refrigerators?

“The (live) performers appear in the following order: Richie Havens, Joan Baez, The Who, Sha-Na-Na, Joe Cocker, Country Joe & The Fish, Arlo Guthrie, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Ten Years After, John Sebastian, Santana, Sly and the Family Stone, and Jimi Hendrix.”

If memory serves, then Richie Havens performed at dark while Sha-Na-Na seemed to wake people up at noon or so.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 06:05:28 AM »
Gimme a break, it was almost 54 years ago. And I saw it with my then-fiance (now ex-wife). The commie girl blind date was a couple of years earlier.

Whatever.  Sha-Na-Na's performance definitely made me take notice,

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 07:13:11 AM »
Ouch, though I did live in Manhattan for a while once (I liked moving to your hood more), I swear it was done without educational zest, I’m no spelling Nazi! When I wrote my answer, neither Shanana nor Sha Na Na looked quite right to me so I looked it up and then proceeded to correct my post, accidentally IN MY QUEST FOR WORLD DOMINATION also RUTHLESSLY ERADICATING ALL SPELLING TRANSGRESSIONS in ze quöte …

THERE WILL BE NO SPELLING IN THE GRAMMAR ROOM!