Author Topic: Liebe Amerikaner, are you finally allowed to see this?  (Read 2093 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Liebe Amerikaner, are you finally allowed to see this?
« on: December 09, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
I did. It's a great flic.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Liebe Amerikaner, are you finally allowed to see this?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »
I love you Jim Carrey.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
I can't get it to play right now, but if it has Jim Carrey in it, I won't be watching it.

Now that he's split from the crazy woman who spreads lies about autism and vaccines, maybe he'll shut up about that.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:08:34 PM »
The role actually seems to fit him. Good choice for his career.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
I have reservations about most of Carrey's acting too, but he does well in this movie, playing the role of a flamboyant gay man with a brilliant mind and an ability to deceive everyone very credibly. Ewan McGregor's role of "the wife" in the gay relationship is great too, he portrays how a woman acts and feels in a relationship with someone (s)he loves, but can't really control note-perfect. The film is a mix of Brokeback Mountain (but more life-affirming), Catch me if you can (but more tragic and less plodding) and Raising Arizona Junior (but more deep). See it.

Uwe

PS: As for the real Steve Russell: 144 years of high security prison and solitary confinement is OTT IMHO even for a compulsive fraudster, impostor and prison escapee. The guy needs a therapy and a closely supervised probation more like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Jay_Russell
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:12:57 PM »
Hey, he was playing hide the salami with Jenny McCarthy for a year.  I would have been swayed too.  He is a decent actor.  I tend to find his comedy too over the top.  Being a Canuck he is sadly more Red Green than Kids In The Hall.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
I enjoyed his Charlie Kaufman & Sunshine of the eternal heart?

Chaser001

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
That was on in the Netherlands when I was over there during the summer.  The previews looked really funny.  I thought about going to see it.  I had no idea it hadn't played in the U.S. until I read this thread.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
Some actors I can watch doing almost anything because I enjoy watching them work, but I never liked Jim Carrey's acting. There is a movie with him starring (I don't rember which) and at the end the various actors talked about working on the film, one of his co-stars said something to the effect that Jim had a tendency to over act and step on the others lines. I agree.
Tony

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
I enjoyed Bruce Almighty...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
I'm good with Jim Carrey, but to me Will Farrell is just about unwatchable.  Something about his brand of idiocy just rubs me wrong.

And I'm no Adam Sandler fan, although I did enjoy Happy Gilmore.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chaser001

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
I've liked most of the Jim Carrey movies I've seen, and think this one might be good, too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:16:07 PM by Chaser001 »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 05:34:44 AM »
Some actors I can watch doing almost anything because I enjoy watching them work, but I never liked Jim Carrey's acting. There is a movie with him starring (I don't rember which) and at the end the various actors talked about working on the film, one of his co-stars said something to the effect that Jim had a tendency to over act and step on the others lines. I agree.

Probably Liar, Liar.  He was actually decent in that film.  In the outtakes, there's a shot where Swoosie Kurtz is in his face, and just blurts out, "blatant over-actor!".  The whole set, including Carrey goes into hysterics.

I generally don't like Carrey much, but I have found him good in certain roles.  I liked The Mask, Ace Ventura and The Grinch (yeah, sue me).  He seems better as a fictional character than an actual actor.  I *hated* him in The Man In The Moon.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:10 PM »
...  I *hated* him in The Man In The Moon.

Andy Kaufman was a person most people either loathed or hated... one million green bottles, standing on a wall, for real, at a show, was a bit to left-field over in the next State for most folks... I have never seen the movie but I'm told it was a very truthful portrayal of Kaufman's life, so...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
Yeah, Kaufmann was a love/hate thing, too.  I thought, as is Carrey, he was better in a character role than being himself.  I thought he was funny in Taxi, even when the Tony Rome thing came in.  The episode where he's about to tell Alex all the things that are core to his life, and then flips back to Latka is pretty funny.  As far as his stand-up stuff, the funniest thing I ever saw him do was on the old Dick Van Dyke variety show.  Lip synching to an old Annette Funicello record was about as funny as he ever got in my book.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty