Author Topic: Grabber/G-3 Bridge Mk. II?  (Read 2256 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Grabber/G-3 Bridge Mk. II?
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:31:17 AM »
I was first gonna be dismissive about this emanating from anywhere close to Gibson, but the more I think about it the more I find that this might have been a (later on aborted) project of Gibson to do better on those flimsy original bridges the Grabbers and G-3s came with. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-Custom-Shop-Bass-Bridge-project-jazz-fender-/400141993480?pt=Guitar_Accessories

Flimsy this bridge is not ..., I'm a bit tempted actually.

String spacing-wise it would fit though you'd sacrifice the string-thru-body option but that is not relevant for anything else but string to saddle pressure.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:37:32 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Grabber/G-3 Bridge Mk. II?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
Very Fenderish with threaded saddles and a thicker plate to allow quick release.  I'll bet you a schnitzel to a canollo those ARE Fender saddles.  Slot head screw gives it away.  I love those threaded saddles and use them on all my Fenders.  The original '57bridge is still the best, hate the later barrel saddles.

Is it possible to drill holes in the plate to line up with thru body holes? (not at all familiar with grabber/g3)..why is this better than a badass? ;D
Just happen to have an original sitting next to me.  In nickel of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:35:30 AM by dadagoboi »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
Gibson has been known to incorporate Fenderish ideas.

I don't know how he figures it's really a custom shop item. OTOH he has enough other NOS Gibson items that he may know the origin.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
Definitely a chip off the ol' Leo, but with just enough changes to avoid finger-pointing.  It does look like a substantial bridge.

Ditto on the thumbs-up for the threaded saddles. 

I've always thought the Fender bridge was an effective, excellent and elegantly simple design.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
As they say, "amateurs borrow, professionals steal."  It is a substantial bridge, the only thing slightly bothersome is how close the adjusting screw holes are to the string slots.  The metal has to be almost that thick to be strong enough to not risk distortion under tension.  It would be a real conversation piece on a Gibson bass if you could verify its provenance.  Makes sense as a prototype, why tool up for saddles when they're already available?  Specialized ones can be done if/when you decide to go into production.  Wonder what the date of these bridges manufacture is supposed to be.  The threaded saddles were not used by Fender after around '68 or so IIRC, don't know exactly when they were reintroduced. 

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:27:16 PM »

I'd say wishful thinking - If this is truly is by Gibson i'd say this was post Norlin...

As we all know, anything is possible with Gibson. But I'm certainly suspicious. In the second pic, the curvature of the two corners looks different - gives it a home-made look. OK, may be the angle it is photographed at. And brushed nickel? Hardly what 70s Gibson is known for.

If this is a replacement for the Grabber bridge it would have to be seventies... they'd already started phasing it out by the early eighties, so it would make no sense to design a new bridge by then. Could it be something considered for the Victory, instead of the Gibson wedge bridge? I doubt this too.

Looking at the sellers other listings, he regularly lists items with two or three manufacturers names. If this is a genuine Gibson, why put the word Fender in the title?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »

I'd say wishful thinking - If this is truly is by Gibson i'd say this was post Norlin...

As we all know, anything is possible with Gibson. But I'm certainly suspicious. In the second pic, the curvature of the two corners looks different - gives it a home-made look. OK, may be the angle it is photographed at. And brushed nickel? Hardly what 70s Gibson is known for.

If this is a replacement for the Grabber bridge it would have to be seventies... they'd already started phasing it out by the early eighties, so it would make no sense to design a new bridge by then. Could it be something considered for the Victory, instead of the Gibson wedge bridge? I doubt this too.

Looking at the sellers other listings, he regularly lists items with two or three manufacturers names. If this is a genuine Gibson, why put the word Fender in the title?

That was Uwe's assumption of a possible Grabber bridge. The seller only says "new-old-stock mint-condition Nashville Gibson Custom Shop bass bridge." If it's legit, I would guess it's well post-Norlin, maybe ca. 1990. Maybe he has evidence, maybe not.

He put Fender in the title to get more lookers. After all, the spacing would work for a lot of basses even if it is a real Gibson product.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »
what did they put on the leland sklar bass?
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »
what did they put on the leland sklar bass?

IIRC it looked like a Hipshot Style B bridge.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »
Jawohl.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...