Author Topic: Epi Wood  (Read 3643 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Epi Wood
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
We've often speculated here what wood our Epis are made of. The official blurb claims things like "korina" on, say, an Explorer, but we all see clearly that our Explorers are veneered.

Gibson has started something new - a site where you can ask Henry J and Jim Rosenberg (head of Epi) questions - and I found this here interesting:

http://4henry.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/444-please-be-honest/

This guy's enraged question:

"Why do you State the Body Material as "Korina" on the Epiphone when it's clearly not. Will you at least tell us what it is really made of.
Is it Alder? Also I really would like to know why you state it's Korina wood and base it on the real think. Why not just state it's Alder or whatever it's made of with a Korina Finish. Isn't their Liablity Concerns? I'd like to know really what I bought because it's not what you say it is and not what I thought I was buying and not what was stated that I was buying. I feel like I was conned and lyed too although I know the old saying is true but I was thinking it's made in Korea and China maybe they got a ****-load of the stuff cheep and are passing it on."

was answered as follows:

"Hi,

Thanks for the post. To my knowledge, the wood we are using on the "1958" Korina V's and Explorers is Korina (white limba). The body is multiple pieces with a veneer over the top and back. If you're not happy with your Epiphone and assuming you purchased it "new" recently, I would encourage you to contact the retailer you purchased it from or contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-4GIBSON.

Thanks again,
Jim Epi"

Makes sense to me and is confirmed by what my luthier said about my Explorer which was veneered (prior to the fungus treatment) as well but has Korina (pieces) underneath. I don't have issues with multi composite bodies. As long as the glue holds that is!  

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:08:46 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Epi Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:22:48 AM »
Isn't that post a great example of the way people have lost their judgment and poise in communicating via the Internet?   The guy asking the question comes across as a real jerk to me.  He got a polite answer, along with a nicely delivered tweak...which was what he deserved.

Seems like people are always angry and aggressive online, when many of them would never express themselves the same way person to person.

But it's still true that you catch more flies with honey then vinegar.  Starting off sounding pissed and angry is never a way to get a sympathetic response.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:20 AM »

Also best not to forget that many (not all) have rightfully earned the title "Guitard" as this guy so obviously has  :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
The website could make it clearer. If it's obviously veneered, then make it clear what the core wood is, even if it's the same species.

"To my knowledge"  ??? Doesn't he know for sure? Epi's descriptions have been inaccurate in the past. They ought to make an effort now -- more than just "to my knowledge" -- to be sure the info is accurate.

Agreed, the questioner is being too aggressive. But is he correct that the core is obviously not korina (I wouldn't know)? If it's obviously not, then Henry and Jim need to get their act together.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:48:29 AM »
My luthier called the white wonder wood of my Explorer a "limba species from either Asia or Africa, too soft and dent-prone for really valuable guitars, but with nice acoustic qualities". Korina is just another word for limba and contrary to popular belief korina was never a very valuable wood - it was widely used for cheap furniture in the fifities and sixties because it is a plain looker -, it just sounds good.

"The plainer a wood looks, the better it often sounds", is still a good rule of thumb.

I fully agree that the web site could just as well state "korina composite build with korina veneer", I do not think that a statement like that would harm Epi sales. Of course they can't afford to build an Explorer or a Flying V body out of one piece of wood.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
The story is that Gibson originally bought korina in the 50s to use as a cheaper mahogany substitute. It might be true. White limba is nothing much to look at. Black limba is nicer looking. It's still not an expensive wood unless you're buying from someone who jacks up the price to sell small quantities to guitar builders.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:24 AM »
This guy's enraged question:

"Why do you State the Body Material as "Korina" on the Epiphone when it's clearly not. Will you at least tell us what it is really made of.
Is it Alder? Also I really would like to know why you state it's Korina wood and base it on the real think. Why not just state it's Alder or whatever it's made of with a Korina Finish. Isn't their Liablity Concerns? I'd like to know really what I bought because it's not what you say it is and not what I thought I was buying and not what was stated that I was buying. I feel like I was conned and lyed too although I know the old saying is true but I was thinking it's made in Korea and China maybe they got a ****-load of the stuff cheep and are passing it on."

I wonder what they are teaching in schools these days in place of English.

I'm calling dibs on "Liability Concerns" for a band name, but will let Uwe have it if he wants.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
First thing is when you're in an enraged mood, one should do nothing.  

When one is calm, then ask whatever question politely.

When enraged, there is a virtual 100% certainty that whatever one does is going to be stupid.  Took me years to learn this. Did a lotta stupid things.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
First thing is when you're in an enraged mood, one should do nothing.  

When one is calm, then ask whatever question politely.

When enraged, there is a virtual 100% certainty that whatever one does is going to be stupid.  Took me years to learn this.
You are soo correct. (sigh) I think of all the needles strife I've caused and it just hurts to do so. When I was training for a commuter airline one of the many 'Rules" was-Engage brain first!! Applies to life in general as well.
Fleet Guitars

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
Great advice. Being a hot head and reacting in stead of chilling out and acting is not the way to do it.  I'm learning. Still learning. Will probably be still learning to I die.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 04:38:16 PM »
Great advice. Being a hot head and reacting in stead of chilling out and acting is not the way to do it.  I'm learning. Still learning. Will probably be still learning to I die.

Amen!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
When I have a problem that requires customer service, that's usually when I'm at my nicest and jovial.  Most customer service reps are so tired of being yelled at that if you joke with them or even just ask about the weather at their end, they get more sympathetic to you and will go further to make you happy.  It often works well for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
That guy was a real jerk and I have to hand it to Jim for taking the high road, being forthright and offering an "out" for the continually combatitive douchebag. I'm usually pretty patient with customer service folks on the phone except when I have to deal with Quark's customer service, which is located in India. No details offered here other than  >:(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:11:57 PM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »
...No details offered here other than  >:(

None needed!  :mrgreen:

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes