Author Topic: Francis and ze Ripper  (Read 3769 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Francis and ze Ripper
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:15 AM »
I first saw The Scorpions in 1977 with Uli Roth in a small school gym hall  - that was a time when they were better known in France and Belgium than in Germany, they were touring Virgin Killer. Then again with Michael Schenker (a short stint before he went AWOL again) on the Love Drive tour in the early eighties. And now again tonight on their (sold out) farewell tour. Full closure so to say.

Why am I writing this here? Because I finally found a pic from that 77 tour through small clubs and halls were Francis Buchholz is playing what I remembered all these years, but could never find a confirmation of:

Memory had tricked me into believing it was a Grabber, but, hey, I was close!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
Re: Francis and ze Ripper
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:09:10 AM »
That's cool. Those Marshall stacks looks almost out of place in such a small hall.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:31 AM »
I heard on the news last week, that some scientist had found evidence that the Neanderthal man has left traces in modern folks DNA, supposedly 2-4%. The pic of the guy in Scorpions makes one wonder if some of us didn't get more than the regular dose of Neanderthal?
I even heard some speculations concerning how the Neanderthals communicated. Some think they used some kind of music, to get a message thrue. A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »
Braces just weren't that common in after-war Germany, ok?!   ;D

That stubble did poor Francis no favors whatsoever, he only had it for that tour though. Age has de-neantherthaled him somewhat and being a millionaire helps with your teeth too:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:24:27 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
I saw them a few times; I have a good set of pics somewhere... I still think of Coast To Coast as being my favourite song, with Lovedrive being the greatest work... still have most of the vinyl back to Lonesome Crow but nothing yet on CD, much to my shame...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »
Wow, I had no idea they were still unknown in their home country as late as '77. Chicago was a big town for those guys. I had a couple of older friends down the street that turned me on to all kinds of obscure German bands. I remember raving about Van Halen when they came out, and these guys are like "Van Halen? No, no, no. ULRICH ROTH!" LOL! So I got to know of them just before they broke through with Lovedrive. Great album BTW. Every song is a gem. It was pretty much downhill from there. Which of course means they got really rich.  :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:38 AM »
I heard on the news last week, that some scientist had found evidence that the Neanderthal man has left traces in modern folks DNA, supposedly 2-4%. The pic of the guy in Scorpions makes one wonder if some of us didn't get more than the regular dose of Neanderthal?
I even heard some speculations concerning how the Neanderthals communicated. Some think they used some kind of music, to get a message thrue. A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo?

The Neanderthals must have used fusion. I know there has to be some explanation for it.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
Just waiting for them patientlly ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »
I never saw the Scorps but I remember learning Speedys Coming off Fly to the Rainbow when that came out.. I liked that album alot. When did that come out, '75-'76 ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
I played Tokyo Tapes a lot when I was a teenager.
And Coast To Coast was on the setlist of my first band.

But I think it's kinda strange that Klaus Meine still can't speak English properly after singing it for more than 40 years...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
I got into them from the start, with Lonesome Crow.  I would hope they were big in Chicago - their first record company was running out of a record store on Archer Ave. there.
I got to see them at a club right as Lovedrive was coming out.  It was the first tour with Matthias Jobs, and he was using Michael Schenker's amps.  The bass was great that night.
For me, I think "Pictured Life" has always been my favorite.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »
Gary, was that at B'Ginnings?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »
Gary, was that at B'Ginnings?

Yup.  I even had a backstage pass, but gave it to a friend who freaked at the chance to meet them.  We knew the security crew that night.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 05:39:24 PM »

I saw them later, when they were touring in support of "World Wide Live", Ratt opened for them. It was, to quote Clint (Stiles 72) "The big rock show" perhaps more so than any concert I ever attended, they were quite polished and the sound was good as arena sound goes. I always thought Schenker and Jabs were an exceptional pair of guitarists, I really enjoy their rhythm playing.........A lost art these days  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »
I saw them two or three times around the Blackout era and then once again in the late 90's. They were one of the tightest, most pro sounding bands I ever saw. Klaus was amazing in both his energy and how he used it (while still singing surprisingly well *full stop* (not just for a guy who moved around that much). Any time I hear someone excusing today's crop of talentless, can't go onstage without full backing tape, 'singers', I think of Klaus - and the word 'bullshit' springs to mind. He ran around that stage like a motherf#*ker and still sang his ass off!