Author Topic: Did anybody here ever play or own one?  (Read 2769 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Did anybody here ever play or own one?
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Fretless-Epiphone-Gibson-EB-1-Bass-/350350463063?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item519283d057

This thing has been considerably upgraded/tampered with:

Hipshot Ultralites:

BassLines pup:

But I like the result and the BassLines pup probably sounds great in that position.

Don't know whether the fretless neck is stock or not, I believe these came fretless also, but were they marked like that? On second look (the close-up pic of the neck body joint) it is clearly a - not very nicely done- after-market job.

And I once read that these things are medium scale rather than short scale as the originals. Can anybody confirm/repudiate?

Have a slight itch ... Not expecting this to sound anything like either a fifties or late sixties reissue EB-1, but that is not the point for me. The after-market defret as opposed to original fretless is a major letdown though.

Uwe  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:29:49 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Did anybody here ever play or own one?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:47:21 AM »
There is a stock fretless available locally. Not a bad little bass, I don't know if it is 30" or 32" They want either 299.00 or 399.00 for it..........................either seems steep to me. I can look into it if you like.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
I had one of the fretless ones a few years back (still have a fretted with my son).  I got the shell as a project, and fitted it with a Schaller bridge and a custom one-off Lollar pickup.  With those ultralite tuners, the bass is probably light as a feather.  I know mine was.  I gotta say that thing came in under 6 lbs.  As far as the scale, I never really measured.  I put a set of long scale TI flats on it, and had leftover string galore.  My neck was unlined, but I don't know if they also offered a lined fretless.  If they didn't, someone spent a lot of time and money on a bass that will probably never recoup his investment.  At the price he's got it now, I'd go for it.  I sold mine about 4 years ago, and got $450 for it.  These don't come up often, and I want to say that $300 is about the norm, if it's in good shape.  The fretted one I got was pieced together, and I ended up spending $200 for it.  It's not nearly as nice as the fretless project I did.
The neck on the listed bass looks like my fretted, and it's not near as light as the fretless was.

Here's what mine looked like:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:19:06 AM by gweimer »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:06:25 AM »
Yep, that one's not a factory fretless. Neck joint work looks amateurish, one tuner is cockeyed, whoever did this probably isn't even qualified to use a screwdriver. I would stay away from this one for that reason alone.

Wait for another.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Yeah I will. No rush.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
I checked it out today, tagged $399.00  :o way to much imho. Uwe I'll look into it if you like though.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
That's about what they sold for new, IIRC.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 02:54:23 AM »
Uwe...

No point is "scratching the itch" with "cut-product" when you can, and have, waited for the right item to arrive...

Scott's got your best option if the NY item is suitable for the "itch", right now; he knows your tastes and preferences, and has access to the goods...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:17:56 AM »
A friend of mine has one, I tried one out at Mars before they went bankrupt. The shape (& hardshell case) is the same as the Epiphone hollowbody Hofner copy. They were available with & without frets. I bought a case for my first EB-1 Reissue, I had to alter it. I thought it played great, I never really played a fretless before & it was no big deal with this bass. The strap pin that screws into the threaded hole for the end pin was a stud, same as is used for the stop tailpiece. I believe they were short scale, same as an EB-0.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 10:10:02 AM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
Scott, the one they have at your store, is that in good condition and complete with case and "sting"? Have you played it. Why don't you check it out for me next time and if you think there are no issues buy it for me, trying to negotiate what you can, then play it a while (no carving or routing though and no model G pup either!) and then send it on to me. You herewith have power of attorney and full indemnification, let me know your paypal address.

Uwe

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
(Do I get commision for brokering the deal...? ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 10:16:27 AM »
Scott, the one they have at your store, is that in good condition and complete with case and "sting"? Have you played it. Why don't you check it out for me next time and if you think there are no issues buy it for me, trying to negotiate what you can, then play it a while (no carving or routing though and no model G pup either!) and then send it on to me. You herewith have power of attorney and full indemnification, let me know your paypal address.

Uwe
Uwe, I stopped there yesterday and looked at it. They want 399.00 I will see what I can do about the price.  I have not played it but I did pick it up and looked it over. I appears to be in pretty good condition, I don't know about a case or the  sting (telescoping end pin ?) I can stop by on Mon. and give it a through going over and get pictures.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
scale is 32". quality ok,  pickup is lousy. bridge should be replaced.    very light,  almost hollow feeling
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
 Got it Uwe ! Not a bad little bass, light for sure unlike it's Gibson cousin. Sort of wish I bought it now ; )