Gear Discussion Forums > Bass Amps & Effects

does anyone here use 18 inch speakers

(1/4) > >>

clankenstein:
im using a biamed rig and i have a jbl e145 on the bottom end,nice sound only the  tone i want at the level i want makes the speaker want to get out of the box so i have been compressing the low end signal,not too satisfactory.so last night i went and bought 2 used jbl mr818 cabs,a 300watt 18 inch in each.if i run them both at 4 ohms my amp makes 750 watts so i m thinking this may do the business.im going to try them out on tuesday at rehearsal.i currently cross over to the top end amp -a marshall 9000 dual 50 watt valve amp at around 90 hz. this lets me drive the tops a little without farty distortion in the top cab.its a 4x 10 hartke at the moment though im beginning to suspect that a 2 x 12 may be better as well as easier to move.im wondering if any of you use 18s and how it works for you.

rahock:
I don't own anything with 18s, but years ago I used to share equipment with another band on a lot of gigs and had a lot of playing time with an Acoustic 360 using 2 18" reflex cabs. There is nothing I have ever used that handled the lows as well, and definately nothing I've ever used that hit the back of the room with so much authority. Part of that was cabinet design, but an 18" speaker moves air and hits the back of the room well no matter what.
Never owned a an Ampeg B-18 either, but had considerable playing time on one at a club I used to jam at alot. Not a lot of power and not the most modern efficient cab design. It still handled the lows real well an had a suprising ability to hit the back of the room despite its lack of power. I never understood why the B-18 wasn't more popular back in the day ???
Rick

nofi:
i had a sunn 18 reflex bin for awhile but it just had too much bottom and i can't believe i said that. been using 15's most of the time.

Dave W:
Some of those old 18 cabs could overwhelm the back of the room yet not be heard well at all in the front. Not the best choice for a small or medium size venue.

rahock:
Actually, although I have a great deal of respect for what the 18 can do, I haven't had any real need or desire to own any. Always got the job done with 15s, and more recently a couple of 12" Eminence neos that deliver boatloads of bottom.

When EV came out with their SRO speaker line in the late 60s-early 70s , they had a 30" version for a short time, that was beyond belief in delivering bottom. The only bass player I ever saw use them was Larry Taylor with Canned Heat. 4 30" speakers in reflex cabs that were about the size of my first apartment :o. He powered it with a stack of  Sunn heads (probably 200S). He was so low and powererful his sound did not really hit  your ears as much as it hit your body. It would make your belly and butt vibrate....Beware the Brown Note :o.
Awesome sound , but sure as hell nothing you'd want to tote around.
Rick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version