Author Topic: New store different Aircraft ;)  (Read 1268 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
New store different Aircraft ;)
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
 I mentioned awhile back that after 9 years at Seattle Lighting Southcenter location I had transfered to our store in Tacoma (about 25 min. south of Seattle) so far it's been good for me. It's interesting tho, both stores are in proximity to airfields, Southcenter is in Boeing Field's flightpath, so lots of commercial aircraft and the occasional odd B-17 could easily be seen from the store. Tacoma is close to McChord AFB with lots of Military traffic, yesterday with much noise overhead I noted these 7 C-17's ( Talk about BUFF's!) in a loose Line Astern heading north, running an exercise I guess. Never a dull moment in Tacoma  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: New store different Aircraft ;)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
 Very cool ! For whatever reason the landing pattern takes everything over our house most days, not that I mind. In the old days the flew up the Genesse River. They are far out and usually pretty high, I swear it's like they are vectored in over my house. Mostly Commercial traffic and the odd C-130, everyone once and while during airshow season something really interesting flys over, I hear the engines and run out my neighbors think I'm nuts..
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
When I lived in Bryan/College Station Texas, the Confederate Air Force (called the Commemorative Air Force since 2002) often did air shows at the local airport.  Wonderful to hear them coming in or circling before landing.  We went out to see some of them as well.

http://commemorativeairforce.org/
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
   I donated a TMB Avenger turret to the CAF in '79. I found it in a garage sale for 15 bucks, I knew right what it was the sec. I saw it. They were growing tomatoes under it.
When I lived in Bryan/College Station Texas, the Confederate Air Force (called the Commemorative Air Force since 2002) often did air shows at the local airport.  Wonderful to hear them coming in or circling before landing.  We went out to see some of them as well.

http://commemorativeairforce.org/
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
I really miss seeing and hearing Concorde... nearly ten years retired now and the one at Heathrow has still to find a permanent home, much to BA's shame... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
I really miss seeing and hearing Concorde... nearly ten years retired now and the one at Heathrow has still to find a permanent home, much to BA's shame... :-\

We have one of your castoffs here in Seattle  ;)
It's definately an "Outlander" in Bill Boeing's Jet City!

http://www.museumofflight.org/concorde
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
 I got to see the Concord take off from Rochester NY close up near the end of the runway. Easy access very few people. I played hookie from work and dragged the family along. What a sight!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
I mentioned awhile back that after 9 years at Seattle Lighting Southcenter location I had transfered to our store in Tacoma (about 25 min. south of Seattle) so far it's been good for me. It's interesting tho, both stores are in proximity to airfields, Southcenter is in Boeing Field's flightpath, so lots of commercial aircraft and the occasional odd B-17 could easily be seen from the store. Tacoma is close to McChord AFB with lots of Military traffic, yesterday with much noise overhead I noted these 7 C-17's ( Talk about BUFF's!) in a loose Line Astern heading north, running an exercise I guess. Never a dull moment in Tacoma  ;)

Years ago I had some equipment located at Altus AFB in Altus, Oklahoma.  Many of the C17s were based there at the time.  When you see one these monsters landing or taking off you think that they're going to stall at any moment as they look to be barely moving because they're so freakin huge.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
I got to see the Concord take off from Rochester NY close up near the end of the runway. Easy access very few people. I played hookie from work and dragged the family along. What a sight!

Used to do that back in the late 70's/early 80's when I was there so I could sneak a few up-close-and-personals... the only thing near the sound now is a B1 that I can think of...

We have one of your castoffs here in Seattle  ;)
It's definately an "Outlander" in Bill Boeing's Jet City!

At least you can get on board that one - Heathrow's on can only be seen over a fence and in the distance... the last one ever to fly, down at Filton in Bristol has been off limits since a visitor fell off the steps and died... not sure about G-BOAC in Manchester... or G-BOAA in Edinburgh... but we do have one that I've been on (G-BBDG) very local to us... they (BAA and BA) kicked the "baby Concorde" off the LHR entrance roundabout but this same place now has her in pride of place and accessible to anyone for free...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...