Author Topic: Another stupid list to argue about  (Read 6261 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Another stupid list to argue about
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
Really?  Interesting... makes me not feel quite so bad about forgetting about him momentarily.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

What, no Dennis Dunaway?  Pshaw!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:22 AM »
Tina was never an excellent technician, but the reason I rate her so hightly is her consistently original, distinctive, catchy, danceable, and perfectly song-serving basslines.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »
Don't forget her versatility.  A lot of those other dudes were not.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »
i think this list was supposed to be a cross section of good bass players playing a variety of genres.it failed. but any best bassist list ain't shit unless they include the REALLY legendary ray brown. imo lemmy, deal, hook and and geezer can say good bye.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
 :bored: :bored: :bored:

If I had my own list, about 8 of those people could be on it. Nothing against the others, but i do think some of these folks tend to be over-rated. Cliff Burton, Lemmy, and Les Claypool, but no Geddy Lee or Chris Squire? Ridiculous. Oh, and where's that bald headed guy from the east coast?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
The people who compiled this list probably know very little about bass and bassists. They've only read about them, and the ones they read about the most made the list. For example, Carol Kaye has always tooted her own horn -- nothing wrong with that -- while Joe Osborn hasn't. Ergo, Carol is at the top of the list and Joe is nowhere to be seen.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 02:05:07 AM »
If you want listen how good (and melodic) Lemmy was, listen to Hawkind. There are a lot of similarities with the much later Peter Hook of New Order, the same chordy, yet melodic eights-oriented style. And he could even groove rhythmically, just listen here around 21:12 what he does "underneath" Nik Turner's sax solo - or perhaps the sax playing is "behind" Lemmy's bass playing.  :mrgreen:

I agree, lots of usual suspects in that list, couple of surprising choices and even some people that finally get the recognition they deservelike good ole Geezer B. Is there really no Flea in it or did I just overread him?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 05:18:28 AM »
The people who compiled this list probably know very little about bass and bassists. They've only read about them, and the ones they read about the most made the list. For example, Carol Kaye has always tooted her own horn -- nothing wrong with that -- while Joe Osborn hasn't. Ergo, Carol is at the top of the list and Joe is nowhere to be seen.

Maybe nobody else wants to come out and say it, but there seems like there was a distinct effort to get as many ladies on the list as possible

Most of them deserve to be there, or at least be in the running (Carol most definately, and I defended Tina's spot), but still.  Some are conspicuously missing (they have Kim, who has been in the news a lot recently what with being back with The Breeders and not touring with the Pixies, but not Suzi, who nobody in the media are talking about in the last few years).  Kim seems like a definite femme gimmie; now I love her work, but if she has much technical prowess, she doesn't show it off.  Though there is something to be said for a bass layer who doesn't demand specific attention and will just work for the song as opposed to their own glory (something that can't be said of some of the others on the list)... and can provide iconic backing vocals at the same time (or lead as the case may be).  There was a whole subgenre of breathy alt rock riot grrrl music that based their vocal styles on her (backing vs lead); and later in the early 00s even some cheesey pop. She was the basis of a rock vocal style just like Kurt was (and just like with him, some of the imitators are most irritating).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:28:25 AM by Granny Gremlin »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 06:27:27 AM »
I dismissed that list the moment I saw Kim Deal was in the list. Putting her on the list is simply ridiculous.  You might as well put Sid Vicious on the list  8)

I agree with you Jake, the number of female bassists in that list is remarkable, to say the least  :o

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »
Maybe nobody else wants to come out and say it, but there seems like there was a distinct effort to get as many ladies on the list as possible.

Ahem:

Second that motion: hipster cred and imaginary feminazis, can we lick your balls please?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Sorry, missed that earlier. ... probably because I was laughing after reading the hipster cred bit.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »
That is a weird poll. It loses all scientific credibility for me by not making catsuit wardrobe mandatory for qualifying female bassists. I hate it when obviously relevant criteria is glaringly omitted.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:06:36 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 11:30:34 AM »
Stay classy Uwe.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Happy Birthday, Suzi Quatro (June 3rd)

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal