Author Topic: Another stupid list to argue about  (Read 6234 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Another stupid list to argue about
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
Suzi was never well known in the US except as Leather Tuscadero, and she's been off the radar here for years, so it's no wonder she wasn't included.

Bill Black allegedly cited Fred Maddox as an influence. So Paul Allen managed to get Fred's bass for the Experience Music Project because -- allegedly -- the first notes of rock & roll may have been played on that bass back in the mid-'30s. That's the story, but it's ludicrous. Fred Maddox wasn't the first doghouse bassist to slap, the Maddox Brothers & Rose didn't play rock & roll, and they weren't nationally known until I was little. Yet one of the authors of this list must have read about Maddox's bass at the EMP and decided he belongs on the list.

That's what I mean when I said the list was made by people who have only read about bassists.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
Stay classy Uwe.

Isn't it a bit late for that?  :mrgreen: I'm with Dolly Parton on this who one quipped in a talkshow about her wardrobe: "People have no idea how expensive it is to look this cheap!"

Seriously, there is not a single woman in that poll that really has "chops" like many of the nominated guys do, Carol Kaye excepted. Where are Gail Ann Dorsey, Rhonda Smith, Mehell Medgeocello and Tal Wilkenfeld? Whether you like their style or not, they are proper bass player(esse)s with sporty chops, the kind of fodder you'd generally tend to see in these type of polls if they were male.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Sorry dude, Tina and even Kim have chops in spades.  Chops <> technical ability or virtuosity. 

Chops isn't a thing that makes a bassist great; it makes a bassist acceptable.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
krist novoselic isn't on the list and I'm not sure he should be,
 but he is equally as deserving of the spot as  Kim

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2015, 07:42:05 AM »
Seriously, there is not a single woman in that poll that really has "chops" like many of the nominated guys do, Carol Kaye excepted. Where ......Tal Wilkenfeld?.........

Speaking of Tal - looky what I found ;D  I knew I had reason to like her ;)
https://www.facebook.com/talwilkenfeld/photos/pb.85716653004.-2207520000.1433601391./10152500600943005/?type=1&theater

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
Tal, Esperanza, Meshell, Rhonda... It really wouldn't have been hard to name some female players with serious talent. But what would we debate if the list was actually accurate  :-X

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
The people who compiled this list probably know very little about bass and bassists. They've only read about them, and the ones they read about the most made the list. For example, Carol Kaye has always tooted her own horn -- nothing wrong with that -- while Joe Osborn hasn't. Ergo, Carol is at the top of the list and Joe is nowhere to be seen.

I was just about to write that Jamerson and Carol were there, but Joe Osborn wasn't. Wait, I DID write that...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter