Author Topic: What's wrong with Jake E Lee?  (Read 14724 times)

Blackbird

• View Profile
Re: What's wrong with Jake E Lee?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
The Italian Frontiers label is the elephants' graveyard for AOR, hard rock and glam rock acts that were huge in the eighties. It's where bands and solo acts like Nightranger, Robin Beck, Toto, John Waite, Styx etc release their current material. I'm not knocking the label, I'm glad it exists, but it does cater to an audience that thinks that Hughes Thrall or Icon were more relvant to music than Nirvana (hey, I prefer Hughes Thrall over Nirvana too!).

So that is really not a commercial return in strength, but acceptance of the fact that you are an 80ies rock veteran hero. Which won't keep me from getting the CD (though the news of Paul Di'Anno guesting makes me wary ...), I like Jake E. Lee a lot, I must be one of the few people on earth that actually like Ozzy's The Ultimate Sin album  ...

My favorite two Ozzy albums are Bark at the Moon and Ultimate Sin.  Both are still in the car!  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:18:18 AM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Check this out Blackbird.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »
Looks like he's got it sorted.

A new album is coming soon

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases/frontiersrecords/red-dragon-cartel.htm

So now I've heard it, nice nasty bass sound. Musically, this could have been on either Bark at the Moon or Ultimate Sin, the vocal line is the type of psychedelic Lennon-era streeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttccccccchhhhhhheeeeeeddddd melody Ozzy likes to deliver with his doomsday whine too. But I like it. Nice solo both the OTT intro and the slowed down middle part. I'll never understand why Jake E. Lee is forever overshadowed by Randy Rhoads and Zakk Wylde, Ozzy has never had a bad lead guitarist (the new Greek guy is good too), but Jake E. Lee was the most elegant and tasteful one in his playing. I guess it was down to the fact that Lee was less of a showman than ether Rhoads or Wylde and that is of course crucial if you are playing with Ozzy.

Have I mentioned that I'm seeing the Sabs on 4 December? I've seen Ozzy (twice) and Sabbath (thrice, twice with Dio, once with Tony Martin), but I've never seen Widow Whiney and her Brummies together.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
Check this out Blackbird.

Cool stuff - looks like you took that rock-n-roll rebel transcription note-for note too!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
the vocal line is the type of psychedelic Lennon-era streeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttccccccchhhhhhheeeeeeddddd melody Ozzy likes to deliver with his doomsday whine too.
Typical Robin Zander Lennonesque way of singing.