Author Topic: The German Flag  (Read 4403 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
The German Flag
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
This popped up in my FB feed - doesn't apply here, obviously, but still pretty damned funny.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The German Flag
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »
Zät ist nicht funny at all, nein.

Of course it is!  :mrgreen:

What even most krauts don't know is that the colors of the flag (devised in the Romantic Period in the 19th Century) represent the colors of dawn - as in dawning of a nation:

That's a surprisingly unmilitaristic origin, right? But, admittedly, not very humorous either.  ;)

The Nazis despised it and replaced it with their obscene swastika in white circle on red background. That was one ugly flag right from the start.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:13:40 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
The Nazis despised it and replaced it with their obscene swastika in white circle on red background. That was one ugly flag right from the start.

As I'm sure you know, the swastika was hardly "theirs". The number of cultural variations on the theme is staggering.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »
The indigenous human beings used it first.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 06:42:17 PM »
The indigenous human beings used it first.

There are plenty of swastika symbols in New Mexico, of native origin. The New Mexico State U. yearbook was called the Swastika into the 1980s.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:41:59 PM »

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 01:18:20 AM »
Vexing vexillology.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 05:36:38 AM »

A rather clever cake my 11 year old nephew made for us to celebrate our recent visit.........
Amis on the outside Germans on the inside  ;D 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:17:20 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »
Years ago while visiting the Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota, the way it was decorated in 1909 stuck out more than all of the other years. They claim that it was an "Indian Good Luck Sign".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tellumo/34142000/in/photostream/

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:06:19 PM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
Years ago while visiting the Corn Palace in Mitchell South Dakota, the way it was decorated in 1909 stuck out more than all of the other years. They claim that it was an "Indian Good Luck Sign".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tellumo/34142000/in/photostream/

It was a good luck sign, although it was apparently around long before western American Indians adopted it.

The former Hotel Swastika in the historic district of Raton, NM, now a bank.

https://n7.alamy.com/zooms/92120bab455f4238a0c3a4c605f1a23e/international-bank-building-formerly-the-swastika-hotel-raton-downtown-ctgg3k.jpg

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

The swastika (as a character) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon used commonly in the Indian subcontinent, East Asia and Southeast Asia, where it has been and remains a sacred symbol of spiritual principles in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. In the Western world, it was historically a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck;[5] but in the 1930s, it became the main feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of Aryan race identity, and as a result it has become stigmatized in the West by association with ideas of racism and antisemitism.

The name swastika comes from Sanskrit and denotes "conducive to well being or auspicious". In Hinduism, the clockwise symbol is called swastika, symbolizing surya (sun), prosperity and good luck, while the counterclockwise symbol is called sauvastika, symbolizing night or tantric aspects of Kali.[8] In Jainism, a swastika is the symbol for Suparshvanatha – the 7th of 24 Tirthankaras (spiritual teachers and saviours), while in Buddhism it symbolizes the auspicious footprints of the Buddha.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

A rather cleaver cake my 11 year old nephew made for us to celebrate our recent visit.........
Amis on the outside Germans on the inside  ;D 

Artsy Kid!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
the colors of the flag (devised in the Romantic Period in the 19th Century) represent the colors of dawn - as in dawning of a nation

I had no idea. I always assumed Germans were enamored of 70s Fender 3-tone sunburst over alder and that as such it was a symbol of conformism, as opposed to CAR and LPB of the American flag, representing free spirit and complemented like all custom colors by a white pickguard.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
I had no idea. I always assumed Germans were enamored of 70s Fender 3-tone sunburst over alder and that as such it was a symbol of conformism, as opposed to CAR and LPB of the American flag, representing free spirit and complemented like all custom colors by a white pickguard.

Huh! I always wondered why my Squire SQ Series MIJ seems to demand that the bass part be played note-for-note (but das ist ash)...