Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

I had my Dilbert moment today ...

<< < (2/3) > >>

gearHed289:
I was issued a laptop at work a year or two ago. It rarely leaves my desk. I run it through 2 monitors. Usually Excel on one and VectorWorks on the other. I don't use the actual laptop screen at all. And why am I talking about work on a Saturday?  ;D

Alanko:
My work have issued laptops in the last few years. The problem is that the docking stations they require don't seem very robust. The laptops themselves are also pretty pitifully spec'd. For my work I need a powerful processor, so I get to keep my 'tower' for a while longer.

Pilgrim:
Yup, either a docking station or port replicator. then let the laptop sit in place.  As long as you don't need to change video cards or do other things that require a desktop, you won't really notice the difference.

Dave W:
If Uwe isn't going to be moving it or taking it out in the field, he doesn't need a docking station or port replicator.

Pilgrim:

--- Quote from: Dave W on November 12, 2017, 08:28:06 PM ---If Uwe isn't going to be moving it or taking it out in the field, he doesn't need a docking station or port replicator.

--- End quote ---

I mean for use on his desk. The drawback to most laptops is lack of connections for external devices, and a docking station or port replicator usually provides more than are built into the laptop. 

At least, that's how it works for me - I always have more peripherals plugged in than the machine has ports.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version