Author Topic: Request for opinions on EB-2D bass, sparkling burgundy but with some "ouchies" .  (Read 5904 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I've seen several Gibsons from that era with the same feature. Not sure exactly how they did it, but there are enough of them about that it had to come from the factory that way.

chromium

• View Profile
I remember that.

On leftybass' dual-mud EB-2D, it looks like the logo was done the same way as on my 68/69 EB-3:

Looks like a big block inlay, with paint defining the logo, and its obviously cleared over.  You can see on leftybass' how white the MOP is without the clear over it in those spots where the finish lifted/chipped away.

On my '66, however, it looks like they actually cut the MOP in the shape of the Gibson logo:

leftybass

• View Profile
As was stated previous, the paint makes the logo on the inlays; the paint and (yellowed)clearcoat has flaked off of the headstock face on mine, showing the inlay underneath.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
So I just need to figure out how to scratch out a gibson logo from an overcoat of black paint:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Hey!! - that logo on your double mudbucker - is that original or is it patched up ??

It looks like a pearl block with the letters then painted on - I think Chromium and I had a discussion a while ago as to whether or not that was something Gibson did at one point - it may be that you actually have an example of it !??

Oh .. and the relevancy is that I have a dormant EB-3 project with an inlay like that - which I was convinced was a replaced inlay ..

Hey guys, I think that "painted letter" theory has some possibility.  My 68 that I included in my post above has a funky look to it around the edges, like Lefty's, but I've never had to nerve to mess with it to see what's up with it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

chromium

• View Profile
So I just need to figure out how to scratch out a gibson logo from an overcoat of black paint:

Maybe try laying a piece of 1" 3M fine line tape over the peral inlay, trace the logo on, and then trim off the tape with an X-acto knife leaving only the masked letters.  That's the kind of tape they use for spaying paint patterns (flames, etc..) on hotrods.  Gives nice sharp, defined edges.

bostonguitarrepair

• View Profile
    • My Blog, The Guitar Garage
Maybe try laying a piece of 1" 3M fine line tape over the peral inlay, trace the logo on, and then trim off the tape with an X-acto knife leaving only the masked letters.  That's the kind of tape they use for spaying paint patterns (flames, etc..) on hotrods.  Gives nice sharp, defined edges.

Excellent idea!! - I have a pearl logo and a half in my "pahhhhts drawwww", as they call it in Boston ...

thanks!

krishna

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile

Artists and auto body guys use an adhesive film called Frisket for this purpose.  I've ordered some to try it out, it's supposed to work well and not damage the underlying finish.  The technique is the same as noted above.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I remember that.

On leftybass' dual-mud EB-2D, it looks like the logo was done the same way as on my 68/69 EB-3:

Looks like a big block inlay, with paint defining the logo, and its obviously cleared over.  You can see on leftybass' how white the MOP is without the clear over it in those spots where the finish lifted/chipped away.

On my '66, however, it looks like they actually cut the MOP in the shape of the Gibson logo:

Yep, that's what my 68 looks like.  Well shut my mouth, I've got a painted logo on my EB-2!  Gibson will never cease to amaze me!!!!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
My 69/70 EB-1 has the same "fallen off" logo and crown. I always though someone etched it out to use crown and logo for restoring a more valuable instrument way back when you couldn't get arrested with an EB-1. I kind of like the look and the story behind it so I never had it "filled".

Speaking of that EB-2D, that is the most marvellously still in shape burgundy I've ever seen on an EB-2, mine turned to bronze/brownish long ago (which is still a nice color). My office is very light all year around, a huge window side and it affects the old sparkling finishes quite visibly. My EB Melody Maker was in pretty pristine sparkle red when I got it a few years ago, it's now more lava pearl and will no doubt be bronzish brown in a few years more. Not that I mind.

From the pics, the repair looks well-done and reassuringly stable, they should have just refinned it.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
My office is very light all year around, a huge window side and it affects the old sparkling finishes quite visibly

That is one of the side effects from being in a 30 story fish bowl. Great view though, I imagine. Not like working in a dreary mall where you never see the sun.

ampang

• View Profile

If the logo matches this one maybe it could be better to use this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-Parts-NOS-Black-Fiber-Head-Veneers_W0QQitemZ260237270340QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

not period correct for sure, but easier to do..

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
I have several  of those overlays,Id be happy to send you one. M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed