Author Topic: Incoming 1964 TBird II Unbroken  (Read 5935 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Incoming 1964 TBird II Unbroken
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »
I've seen several slightly Cherry looking sunbursts. It's real.
Just because you have seen it doesn't mean it's real. No disrespect but I still believe something isn't right. The back is light in color and I still say the top doesn't look correct. I have my doubts, I started in music and vintage retail in '76 I have seen more than my fair share of Thunderbirds. With no other documented examples, with only two pictures and not being able to physically see the bass I still have my doubts.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
 :popcorn:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 05:55:02 PM »
what does it sound like?
Louder bass!.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
This'64 was on Ebay a few years back.   Same paint in the cavity less the chrome tape.

Hornisse

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 08:42:12 PM »
I would have thought your T-Bird was an old refin too but what do I know.  Not a T-Bird expert by any means.  Heck, there are folks here who think $289 Mike Lull perfect repro pickups are expensive but don't hesitate to bid $275 for a used Orville pickup. ???

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »
I would have thought your T-Bird was an old refin too but what do I know.  Not a T-Bird expert by any means.  Heck, there are folks here who think $289 Mike Lull perfect repro pickups are expensive but don't hesitate to bid $275 for a used Orville pickup. ???

And there are folks here whose budget for a whole bass is $275.

Hornisse

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »
And there are folks here whose budget for a whole bass is $275.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  I paid $249 for my DR-5 Heartfield Bass and it is my main axe.    8)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

;)  I hear ya!  ;D

But truthfully they're both great pickups!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
Well....From what I understand the Pickup is not "Used", only soldered to test it out. It still has a 12" long lead on it, It sounds f***ing amazing. If you've never heard an Orville Thunderbird pickup, you have no entitlement or opinion  to judge with. Way Hotter than a Mike Lull T bass pickup. And as for you, my Pal, Scotty...My 65 sunburst thunderbird II has some red in the burst as well. Not Doubting you. Stranger things have happened!  And I have played the above mint 64 thunderbird. It was at a music store in Brookfield Wisconsin. I almost did a deal with it. I think I offered 2 60's refinned t birds, one headstock repair and a 60's P bass. They wanted an additional $3,000.00. Warp Drive Music. So there are exceptions. I've seen a lot myself. And from what I understand...there are some consistencies and well as inconsistencies. So who is right and who is wrong. But the Orville I am selling is not used and it is KICK F'ing ASS!!!!!

Hornisse

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
If you've never heard an Orville Thunderbird pickup, you have no entitlement or opinion  to judge with.

You've got me there.  But I still wouldn't pay $275 for it.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
basically when it comes to finishes i couldn't tell you beans from apple butter but i am glad my friend got it, i know it will be loved and played.

Well....From ASS!!!!!

yeah what he said
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

I just think it's a great looking bass and really wish I could afford one like it, to me it's THE BASS.

As for the pups, well I have two 'Birds with Orvilles and they're very nice and as Baz says a hot signal, but tonewise (and this is just my to own ear!) the Lull is far better if you like a vintage tone, esp. as a single pup - Again just my opinion tho  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 04:41:31 AM »
I agree with you on the Orville pups, Mark.  Personally I prefer the sound of original Reverse pups but I know Baz loves his Orvilles.  It will be interesting to see what Jim thinks about the Orville if he gets it since he has the largest collection of pups of anyone I know, including a Lull.  $275 doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »
At the price of this baby and its structural intactness, discussing whether the fin is original or not borders on sinful inmodesty!  :mrgreen:

I don't give a damn one way or the other. Excellent buy. Yes, I havent seen a sixties, or any Bird for that matter where the fin has aged like that, but otoh my 64 TBird has the strongest red of all my TBirds of all decades in it too, albeit with the black border still much more prominent.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:38:34 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 05:20:51 AM »
 I agree it is a fantastic buy! Refin or not I would have snagged it. I am not 100% sure that is a refin  but the color and the spray pattern are two red flags for me. That's two inconsistencies in one stage of production, bad even for Gibson.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird