Author Topic: Gibson Facing Price-Fixing Lawsuits  (Read 5931 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Facing Price-Fixing Lawsuits
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 01:47:54 PM »
Tea the liquid made from a tea bag, or tea made from loose tea leaves?
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
Being the American you are, I had half-expected you to include "instant tea" in your question, Sir James.  :-*

Don't you guys just generally toss it in cold salt water while dressed as ethnic minorities in an effort of tax evasion?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9E25G5G0.htm

I don't know what it all means... any economists in the house?

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
DAMN IT...!!! Fraulein V and Herr Bassmeister... do you realise how difficult it is to clean tea out of a laptop keyboard...?!?!?  :P

little blow it out through the nose deal?  :popcorn:
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »
hocked a loogie

Consider this line stolen.  ;D  New terminology to use, Awesome!  :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9E25G5G0.htm

I don't know what it all means... any economists in the house?

This is bad, but not unexpected, since Moodys downgraded Gibson last fall and said a further downgrade was possible. See this from a few months ago.

"The ratings are considered non-investment grade." translation = their credit rating has reached junk status.

They still haven't released their audited 2008 financial statements. The longer that's delayed, the more I'm inclined to think the outlook really is dim.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
As a non-Marxist economics fan, I would say the corporation is close to teats up.  Relying on lines of credit to stay afloat is a game that does not play out so well over the last year and a half.  But they could declare bankruptcy, restructure, sell off Baldwin, etc.  It shall be interesting. 

Instant tea?  I never heard of such a thing.  I suppose instant Iced Tea made with hot water. But how much of a hurry does one need to be in that a cup of tea is not quick enough?  Tea demands no hurry.  I am having a cup now. Very relaxing.   

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 04:44:06 AM »
This is bad, but not unexpected, since Moodys downgraded Gibson last fall and said a further downgrade was possible. See this from a few months ago.

"The ratings are considered non-investment grade." translation = their credit rating has reached junk status.

They still haven't released their audited 2008 financial statements. The longer that's delayed, the more I'm inclined to think the outlook really is dim.

Ouch, the clock is ticking louder. I'm sure their core guitar business can be carved out and find a new home anywhere, but it will be the end of Henry J's reign whose lifedream it was to turn Gibson into a life style company à la Harley Davidson or Nike. It would be interesting to see Gibson under a new roof. Would they concentrate on making it as the upmarket brand, the Mega Custom Shop, or would they retain the "there is a Gibson for everyone" approach and - I dare to fantasize - even do outlandish things again like advertising for their basses in the media?!!!

It is interesting how all the musician mags keep quiet about Gibson's financial dire straits - you would assume it would be something of interest to the community, it sure interests me. Seems like at least the PR department is still working in Nashville. In a report on Winter NAMM in German Gitarre & Bass the authors wrote: "Well, Winter NAMM took place without the anticipated breakdowns of certain name brands." and I took that as alluding to Gibson. Gibson is certainly concerned with other things momentarily than selling their products. A question I had to service of Gibson Europe some weeks ago has remained unanswered - that has never happened before, they were always quick to respond. There was also none of th usual NAMM reporting on their site as if they were ashamed of the fact of having subleased a booth space from Monster Cable.

Uwe    

PS: Chris "Buzzard" P. should give his German friend Peter Wilfer of Warwick a call and talk him into buying that Nashville hopeless bunch. Gibsön needs deutsche Führung. And in a first step, the Thunderbird will be equipped with new Junkers Jumo pups and renamed Sturmvogel!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:58:44 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »

Instant tea?  I never heard of such a thing.  I suppose instant Iced Tea made with hot water. But how much of a hurry does one need to be in that a cup of tea is not quick enough?  Tea demands no hurry.  I am having a cup now. Very relaxing.   

Many of us 'Murricans are only interested in drinks which require less than 60 seconds of preparation.

I'll go as long as 10 minutes to fix dinner!

Good thing I'm married and my wife was a foods/nutrition major who enjoys working with actual bits of food, or I'd be living out of cans of chili.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »

"Good thing I'm married and my wife was a foods/nutrition major who enjoys working with actual bits of food, or I'd be living out of cans of chili."

That's why I love being a bachelor!  If I want to eat a can of chile right out of the can without warming it up - I do. It's also nice to have no regard whatsoever for the gas producing consequeces that inevitably occur later as I parade around the house in my civvies due to having no clean laundry............ ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »
See now, my nice relaxing civilized cup of tea is clashing with images of eating beans out of cans and laying down bunts later.  How did this happen? 

I think both lifestyles can only be blamed on Gibson.  Damn them!  Damn them all to hellllllllllll!