Author Topic: my new SG reissue has arrived - which brand flats are you guys using on yours?  (Read 5979 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Uwe, these Pyramid flats are very nice.  I've always found that Chromes and TI Flats require a week or so of playing to settle down, but these were sweet right out of the packet.  The tension is obviously just right for the SG RI, the truss rod required not adjustment after putting the Pyramids on, and the action is nice and low and buzz free.  Did I get lucky and managed to buy a Gibson that was not made on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, or has their QA improved recently?  Or did they hire an entirely new workforce from Japan?

I'm happy you like them, I was a bit worried that they'd be too vintage for you, Chromes and Rotosound Jazz Flats have quite a bit more presence and Labellas and TI's are not as stiff and endear themselves more to the player at first touch.

The SG RIs are generally well-done, for whatever reason. But think of that blue one from Japan which is supposed to have neck angle issues. And I had to return a midnight blue Money bass a few years ago because the fretjob was horrid, making it unplayable not at some exotic high register note, but pretty much anywhere between the third and seventh fret!  
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Uwe, send me your address and I'll send a packages of Slowounds.  That is if the .040 to .095 set are not too light!  :mrgreen:

That is light, but then I've been toying only recently with the idea of stringing a bass with light gauge strings for a change (I generally use 105, sometimes 100 and very rarely 110 or 95) and then didn't have a light gauge set among my dozens of string boxes and packages. So yes, vielen Dank, I'll gladly take up the offer!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bobyoung

• View Profile
Uwe, which of those brands other than TI make a specific short scale set?  I do like Chromes (had them on all my TBirds), but I couldn't see a short scale set in their list.

Probably answered already but 30" short scale Chromes come in three gauges, I had them on my EB-3 and they played and sounded great. I used med light gauge. I think the other two gauges are medium and light.
I just read the earlier part about the Chromes being stiff, I actually tried light gauge Labellas and one other brand, (forgot) and I found the Chromes to exert less pressure on the neck as I was worried about it. I believe they have a .100 E string.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:41:23 PM by bobyoung »