Author Topic: 1960 EB0 - worth $5K?  (Read 4031 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Re: 1960 EB0 - worth $5K?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
Whupped and over priced. 

I would like to see a reissue/copy but if it is sans banjo pegs, it is a '61 reissue, or it is wrong.  I have found with the ones I have owned in the past, that there is something less than balanced about these things.  An EB-2 has the big comfortable body that you can hang yourself over, and the EB3/0 SG body is slim and contoured enough to feel unobtrusive on you.  The LP jr body is a less than right combo of small and clunky.  I like them of course, but as Spock told the cheating betrothed, having is often not as pleasing as wanting.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 05:48:40 AM »
I like them of course, but as Spock told the cheating betrothed, having is often not as pleasing as wanting.

Or as Lemmy said, "the chase is better than the catch".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »
I'm pleased to see that we're quoting the great philosophers here.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:49 AM »
Why do you think he is officially "Lemmy Kilmister"...

Music's equivalent of Sir Les Patterson...  8)

... and Lemmy here's in charge of the sheep shredder...  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:40 AM »
Hardly anyone over here knows about Sir Les. More's the pity.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 08:47:37 AM »
A true cultural icon... Australia is rightfully proud to have such a giant of intellect working for them...  8)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
Whupped and over priced. 

I would like to see a reissue/copy but if it is sans banjo pegs, it is a '61 reissue, or it is wrong.  I have found with the ones I have owned in the past, that there is something less than balanced about these things.  An EB-2 has the big comfortable body that you can hang yourself over, and the EB3/0 SG body is slim and contoured enough to feel unobtrusive on you.  The LP jr body is a less than right combo of small and clunky.  I like them of course, but as Spock told the cheating betrothed, having is often not as pleasing as wanting.

My thoughts exactly, the myth has shrouded these basses in a halo. At the end of the day it is just an EB-0 with a not quite right body.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
What?  ???  I'm sure you meant that it's an EB-0 with the right body.  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »
Looks like a toy. There, I said it. I'll never be a doublecut fan.

PS: That said, that TV yellow - btw, I have a good story to tell about the origins of that color, wanna hear it?  ;) - foster child from Texas plays nice in my collection. But it no longer sounds any different to a reg EB-0. Why? It used to have this very middish, not at all mudbuckish sound with comparatively low output, until I gave it away so my luthier could take a look at the pup as he was working on a banjo tuner EB-2 with a similar, yet broken pup. So he does take it out and looks at it, repairs the EB-2 pup, reinstalls the EB-0 one and that doesn't work anymore! So he repairs that one too and now it sounds much louder and bassier, but just like any other rank and file mudbucker from that era. So what I thought was special about my doublecut LP-0, was in fact a half-broken pup! I thought as much when Bruce/Captcolor tried out my EB-0 years ago (he has one as well) and said "this sounds nothing like mine or any other I've played". I kind of miss that "broken" sound though! Reminds me of Dusty Hill who spent ages looking for a pup that sounded like the one in his P until a luthier told him that his P Bass pup had a defect!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:16:19 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 09:37:06 AM »
I told you there was no real difference in the way mudbuckers were built over the years.  :P   I suppose you could get your luthier to deliberately induce a partial short.  :)

The early single coil version does sound different but even so, it used the same sidewinder construction and same 25,000 turns overall.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
I think there are later mudbuckers that have a slight dip in testosterone, but they all play in the same park.  I have high hopes for my Ibanez kinda-copy.  I haven't stuck it in anything yet.  Eventually, maybe by Sept as I finish my flurry of project backlog rid-ification.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
Later meaning post '75, agreed, but very few of those were sold.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
That is still on my list, a nice real late 78ish EB-0 or -3. Those are rarer than the sixties stuff.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:42:08 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
I kept a link to a Mud-mod that Joe (Chromium) carried out that is in my plans for the Peter Cook - just a piece of 4 core Belden and a few solder points, and it's done... er... and maybe a switch or 2, and maybe a rotary switch, or... Joe even posted some clips of the differences - I'll just be using the coil-split as I don't intend to go for the tones, just something to go with the RD pup as the MB totally overpowers it - balance the 2 in parallel (or 1) coil with the 6.5K of the RD - the 2 together make a wonderful sound; I just like to have the balance between the outputs to be a bit more equal...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
i would suggest a trimmer pot on the output of the mudbucker .i think i used a 500k cermet.works great and stops the mudbucker from overpowering the rear pickup.for the switching on the mudbucker by all means try all the options you may not want them all though.im not sure theres a lot of usable diference between single coil and both coils in parallel except less hum.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:23:45 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.