Author Topic: Epiphone Special Runs  (Read 6025 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Not only for orthodox players ...
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
What's the German equivalent of giving someone the "raspberry"?

I think  :P :P :P :P :P is universal.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
I think  :P :P :P :P :P is universal.

Thank you.
 :P :P :P :P :P :P
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 05:06:10 AM »
I'm with you, I think it's ok. Obviously, it seems to separate the men from the boys, but we'll keep quiet about that.

;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Special Runs
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
We hurt their feelings. Girls are like that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 02:15:44 PM »
We hurt their feelings. Girls are like that.

Well this one is, yes.......... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 02:25:38 PM »
Buy yourself something pretty, please!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
Buy yourself something pretty, please!

Jawohl, Herr Moderator.

Das kann ich machen..............
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »
Flawless German, mistress of many tongues.  :rimshot:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »

;D

You know just what to say..........unlike that Doug guy! 

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:54 AM »
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I played my first Thunderbird today! It was the Epiphone silverburst at Guitar Center. I normally don't play stuff in there, but the store was kind of quiet, plus someone had been trying out a bass through an SVT stack and left the cable sitting there, so I thought I would give it a go. Unfortunately the E string was completely dead even though the others sounded bright, but I still thought it sounded good - pretty comfortable to play, sitting down at least. I also tried the Goth version, but the strings on that were completely gone and it didn't sound nearly as good. Tempted to go back with a strap and see how it plays standing up. No, wait, don't need any more basses, don't need any more basses...  :vader:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 06:41:52 AM »
I suggest trying an Epi Pro IV before pulling the trigger.  The through neck, upgraded pups, electronics and bridge of the Pro are definitely worth the extra $$ IMO.  Trans black is a great color and the brass nut says, "We give a S@%t."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »
I got to briefly intercept one of these silverburst Epis.  It was a nice player.  The bolt-neck Epis have a much chunkier neck profile, but I kinda like variety in necks - so I get along well with them.  Nokturnal has a Goth (maho body) that I quite like too.  The latter has the more aggressive, slightly overwound-sounding Epi TB pickups.  The silverburst struck me as more of a jazz bass sound, with its mild-mannered guitar pickups (six polepiece PAF-clones visible underneath).  A good serviceable sound, just not the Tbird sound I'm used to.

If you can stand the Thunderbird ergonomics (I think they are comfortable, but they're not to everyone's taste), I agree with dadagoboi- check out some of the other variations too.  I haven't played that neck-thru Epi yet.  The Gibson has a sleek, slender neck profile and given your love for Rics you'd probably enjoy the complex, bell-like mids.  You might not get to try without buying first, but the mahog set-neck Japanese Epis/Orvilles/Elitists are BEAUTIFUL and sound slightly different in their own ways too - but still very "Tbird".  I love the thin bodies and Gibson-profile necks on these.  You can tell they modeled them closely after the 70s RIs:

76 on left, Epi Elitist on right:

Back to the silverburst- I tried making a recording of the one that I played here:   .  I wiped the bass from a Kraan and Meters track, and played along (pick and fingerstyle, respectively).  Bass karaoke.  Not a great recording, but might give some idea of the sound with fresh strings a half-ass setup (it arrived with no attention paid to the setup).

There is a thread here with more discussion of that model too, if it helps:  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2604.0
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:31:07 AM by chromium »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
The neck on my Epi Pro IV is in between my Orville and '65 TBird in thickness at the first fret.  The '65 being the thickest.  They're all about the same width.  Musician's Friend (owned by Guitar Center) ships free and has a no questions return policy with free shipping.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 03:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't see that longer thread, though I think I remember it when it was originally posted. I don't think I'm going to get one - it was momentary GAS fed by a relatively low price and decent sound in the store. The Pro IV does look interesting, as do the Japanese ones, but I think that maybe I don't need to get involved in Thunderbird-land - could turn into an obsession!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 10:44:43 PM »
I wouldn't call my T-Bird thing an obsession. I just won't be happy until I have the same amount in my collection as Mark does  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT