Author Topic: 60's reverse T-Bird Question  (Read 820 times)

swood_de

• View Profile
60's reverse T-Bird Question
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
 Someone on another board asked if the neck pickup on a 60's reverse T-Bird IV is in the same place as the pickup on a 60's reverse II. His question is pasted below, and it hasn't been answered. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of '64 T-Bird IV's, but I don't have a II. On my '64's the neck pickup cover is 3 1/4" from the end of the fingerboard, and the metal pickup surround is 3" away from the end of the board (By the way, on my 76's the pickup cover is only 3" from the end of the board - 1/4" closer. I never knew that!) So, does anyone know the answer to this question:

"I'm having an ongoing debate with some friends about 1960's Gibson Thunderbird II's and IV's. The question is: Is the neck pickup on the reverse thunderbirds the same distance from the fingerboard or is it different on the II's then on the IV's?? I've heard that on a II, the distance is 3 1/4" from the end of the fingerboard to the pickup, not the ring but the pickup. ON a IV, I've heard that it is 3". However...I have a buddy that has an original II, an Original IV qnd a refin IV and he claims that the measurement from the end of the fingerboard on all 3 is 3 1/4". The NON REVERSE basses are in the same position. I know also that these basses were not made by robots so either could be true. Anybody have any thoughts????? Thanks!"

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: 60's reverse T-Bird Question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
There are some guys here with both basses so I guess you'll have an answer within days!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »
On my 64 Rev II and my 65 Rev IV it is the same IIRC. But I'll get out a ruler and check!

PS: 3 1/4" it is. On both.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:55:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

swood_de

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »
Uwe:  Thanks much!  I had always thought to be the case. I remember reading somewhere that all reverse T-Birds began life as II's, and that when it came time to make a batch of IV's Gibson just grabbed some already-routed II bodies and added the bridge pickup.  Your measurements add life to that story.