Author Topic: Ralphe Armstrong interview  (Read 5901 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Ralphe Armstrong interview
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:17:50 AM »
I've just ordered Jean-Luc Ponty - Live on the basis of John's interview with Ralphe. Always liked Ponty's work on - don't laugh now - Sir Elton's Honky Chateau.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:04 AM »
My father played violin in an local orchestra, so I always had a weak spot for violin. Jean Luc Ponty inspired me in so many ways, I saw him with Ralphe in 78 and Ralphe was a reason I ordered an RD. The pictures in the article were from the booklet I bought at the show back then. It had been stored away all these years.

I had been searching for Ralphe for a  long time, he has no computer, E-mail or web page, Myspace - nothing! No management nothing.

The way I found him was search after search time I came up with a Detroit drummer who said on his Myspace page he sometimes [plays with Ralphe. I PM him, he said he knows Ralphe and gave me his Cell Number

First let me say that Ralphe is far more than just a Fusion Bass player (Although that is what he is known for)
He is really a classical bass violin player who found his niche the fretless bass,  which he sees as an extension of the Upright. He is really intelligent & gifted musician who really plays all types of music from R&B, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Hip Hop and anything else.

To answer Robs question, yes, I did tell him about Ebay, but unfortunately he is so busy with his business ventures, recording, playing, teaching and everything in-between he just never got into computers. He said his son is trying to get some web pages together, but for him, I dont think he cares really, he's more concerned with living "real" life, playing etc, than learning how to use a computer.

I told him about Jules buying that Ralphe Armstrong fretless RD add on Ebay. He was just shocked, he could not understand that someone would sell a magazine add and that someone would be foolish enough to pay money for it. He was totally dumbfounded by it.

Every time I talk to him he keeps telling me he wants a new 5 string Tbird and also how he would love to get a triumph again.

Mike Watt, Justim Meldan Johnson & Ralphe all have something in common, they all really love "All" Gibson basses- They "get it" about them the way we all do. I find it reassuring that I am not imagining or am delusional about it and the more professional musicians that feel the same, validates my personal feelings.

Chris if you want I can call Ralphe if you want to interview him and set something up. I'm sure he would be thrilled to do it.

Once again thanks to Jules because I am meeting and talking with my personal bass idols under the guise of "interviews" . I feel like a little kid in High school, except now I would have something to say to them that's not totally stupid.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:31 AM »
Also I wanted to say that when Ralphe left Jean Luc Ponty, the young aspiring bass player who replaced him was American Idol Judge Randy Jackson- one hell of a bass player (saw him with Billy Cobhan)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »
I've just ordered Jean-Luc Ponty - Live

I bought a few CDs in the process of doing this inteview, (some of which i'm still waiting for) - that is a great album. The first Mahavishnu Orchestra album with him on (apocalypse) features the London Symphony Orch, and is produced by George Martin - i'm curious about that - still waiting on amazon to get it to me...

Quite keen to know exactly what he recorded with Santna and Jeff Beck (two guitarists I prefer vastly to John McLaughlin)

I wish i'd had longer to check out the music - there is more i'd liked to have asked him. Still you never know, we could to a pt 2 one day....

Liebe Frau Hayden,
I'll double his price to integrate your precious instrument in my humble collection

she'll be wondering why she keeps getting random emails asking to buy her bass....  Unfortunately my buying power is unlikely to ever match yours Uwe (unless you decide to become a painter or something.... go on!) - still if theres one, I guess there could be a few more.... and to be honest I would prefer a fretted mahogany RD.

Why don't you email her and offer her stupid money. You never know what she would say to 5k..... 10k ... how much was your bonus this year?  ;)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:02 AM »
I have the feeling if Ralphe were a true friend of hers, she likely would not to part with it, as I'm willing to bet Ralphe sold it to her for a realy low price way back when. For her to re-sell it at a large sum, would be kind of a bad thing to do, if Ralphe found out.

There are always estate sales to look for in the future for those of you in Michigan.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »
I was joking - if you can get your hands on this bass, Jules, I'm happy for you to have it. I'd imagine it to sound like an Ovation Magnum II (I bet a fretless maho RD with the Artist electronics would sound great, better than any fretted maple RD ever would). A world in which all Gibson bass rarities would be gobbled up by me would be a very sad one indeed - no one to really talk to!

And when you finally turn to painting, I'll buy it off ya!!! In Euros, which will - after the umpteenth deferred referendum - then even have been introduced on your little island!!!

Uwe
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:40:31 AM by uwe »

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 09:15:55 AM »
I have the feeling if Ralphe were a true friend of hers, she likely would not to part with it

Yes, I think you are right John, some things money can't buy. Although I offered to buy it from her, it was a flippant remark really - I was more interested in her thoughts on it (and a nice picture maybe) - as a side note to the interview.

It would be interesting, though, to check whether the electronics, and everthing else are identical to the production version, and even more interesting to get some sound clips. Maybe she'll find this thread one day and oblige....

Yeah, I know you were joking Uwe; I don't judge people by their nationality. I appreciate the fact that some Germans have a sense of humour  ;D

And for the record, i'm in a rare minority, but i'd be more than happy to have the Euro over here. In fact I can't wait for the whole (outdated) notion of countries to be abolished. In the worlds of Ralphe Armstrong.. "are you ready to be a planetary citizen?"

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »
Since when do you have any?  :-X

I'm a sensitive guy and I'm really hurt by that remark.  :'( :P ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:06:53 AM »
I retract my statement.  :-\ :-[ :'( And it is of course blatantly untrue as you own a Deep Purple 6 CD box which you avidly listen to. Especially Glenn Hughes' vocal and bass acrobatics on Getting Tighter if I recall correctly.  :-*

Unless you've sold it?

Uwe

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:54 AM »
Of course I still own it. I wouldn't quite say I avidly listen to it.  ;)  But I did try.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 10:17:47 AM »
More avoidly than avidly then?  :)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
This is why rock bass solos should be banned from music
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 06:09:28 AM by Barklessdog »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
Well done, as usual, and a good read.  Never heard of him - I need to check out some of his stuff.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 06:10:31 AM »
Killer Avatar Uwe!

Very sophisticated, glad you did not use that silly purple clown bass!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2008, 06:58:59 AM »
SPCB? Now you're starting to give me ideas ...