Author Topic: More Ripper prototypes  (Read 5997 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Re: More Ripper prototypes
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »
Well, "awfully polite" sums the Ripper pups up, certainly the weakest component of the whole instrument. It wasn't for nothing that many players (who could have afforded a Ripper) preferred the cheaper Grabber's more raucous output or the G-3's snappy bite. The Ripper had substance, but it was put across in such a docile manner, you would have never described it as, say, 'assertive'. Of course, the set neck also had something to do with it.

Gene Simmons was given both Rippers and Grabbers by Gibson, yet ended up playing only the latter, because Kiss needed something snarly live. Peter Cetera, Greg Lake and Mel Schacher played Rippers only transitionally and had all established "their" respective trademark sound before with different basses. Of those three, I'd say that only Mel had a dominant sound (Chicago wasn't the type of band for anything to sound dominant, they had to leave room for each other; Lake's hi-fi'sh clank never approached Chris Squire's Ric-ferocity), but if you listen closely, by the time Mel was playing a Ripper***, his sound had become more subdued due to Grand Funk having left the Railroad in the station and departed the trio format, discovering songwriting along the tracks as opposed to the improvisational frenzy of their early years. (Not a knock, I prefer the later GF(R) to the earlier one and liked what Craig Frost brought to the band.)

*** VERY fleetingly, I couldn't find a single live vid on youtube from their heydays where he was not playing his mudbucked Jazz Bass which provided his formidable sound in a way a(n unmodded) Ripper never could have

I don't think he used that Ripper for any long period of time. He used a P-bass:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
I interviewd Suzi Quatro some weeks ago. She loves the Ripper and hates the Grabber.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
Mark Farner always had a nice shapely butt and wasn't afraid to flaunt it either. It's the package that sells. Sin's a good man's brother.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:28:42 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2021, 04:26:25 PM »
I interviewd Suzi Quatro some weeks ago. She loves the Ripper and hates the Grabber.

Women are like that. They want you to stay concentrated in/on one place und not slide up and down. Personal observation.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 06:41:54 AM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2021, 05:21:56 AM »
  Man those prototype Rippers look like can openers. :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2021, 06:44:11 AM »
They certainly deserved no design awards. A Porterhouse steak of a bass: "Make something LARGE!"

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2021, 06:57:59 AM »
  Man those prototype Rippers look like can openers. :o

Must have been a theme in the Gibson Design Department……

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2021, 01:45:27 PM »
Mark Farner always had a nice shapely butt and wasn't afraid to flaunt it either. It's the package that sells. Sin's a good man's brother.

That is a fun song to play. We did it with Definition Of Madmen

Women are like that. They want you to stay concentrated in/on one place und not slide up and down. Personal observation.

😂 very true!

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20:20 PM »

I LOVE SUZI.

Just picked up a Suzi Quatro shirt and will die on the hill of spreading the good word of her.