Author Topic: new Epiphone Korina Explorer Bass  (Read 6173 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Re: new Epiphone Korina Explorer Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 03:53:12 AM »
Can't say I've ever been a fan of the Explorer bass, but the six string versions of the Explorer and the Flying V look nice.  Epiphone seem to be more on the ball than Gibson...even the Joe Bonamassa Firebirds look decent.  Is it too much to ask them to bring out a Les Paul Junior with a better shaped headstock.
The future I come from no longer exists.

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »
I'm going to try one. I've really been impressed with Epiphone ever since I got my T-Bird Classic IV.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 05:15:26 AM »
Looking good.

Seems like Epiphone is doing what Gibson should have been doing all along: Releasing vintage correct reissues.
At least for the six stringers.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 05:22:31 AM »
from the photos it still looks like a Korina veneer

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:13 AM »
     The bodies are solid not veneer. If the quality is anything like the Classic Pro I am definitely going to get one. I find the Explorer shape very comfortable.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
Is this a long scale? I wonder if the pickups are as good as the marketing makes them out to be. They look too close to the bolt on bird pickups for comfort.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
Is this a long scale? I wonder if the pickups are as good as the marketing makes them out to be. They look too close to the bolt on bird pickups for comfort.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Ltd-Ed-Korina-Explorer-Bass.aspx

Long scale, and the name of the humbuckers is different from the bolt-on Bird and the Pro-IV.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:12 AM »
I'm still casually searching for an Explorer bass that "fits" me. 2013 Gibson and the original Epi didn't work. If the necks on these are the same as the previous run, I'll pass. They look great, and the black pickguard was a good choice. Too bad they didn't just put TB+ pups on there.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »

If they're available around Income tax return time I'll probably get one, they look great!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 10:03:11 AM »
   The Explorer shape has been in my DNA for a long time,  predates even Thunderbirds  ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 01:13:36 PM »
Price...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »
GAK are quoting £469.00 with free shipping.

That is 526 Euros, or 584 US Dollars, pop pickers!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
Until the advent of the most recent Gibson Ltd Edition Explorer a few years ago, even the old Epi Explorers were the best ones you could get, better than the initial 80ies Gibson Explorers which suffered for medium scale, poor pups and unremarkable woods. The only let-down of the old Epis were the pups, those could be replaced, the wood (underneath the veneer), while dent-prone, was light and responsive with a nice blur, the hardware looked cheesy, but did the job, the scale was finally right, if there ever was a bass that demands long scale then it's the Explorer (along with the T-Bird).

From the pics, this new generation Epi Exi is not all that different - bridge still looks cheesy, but will do the job -, pup-positioning the same, toggle and controls, scratch plate, high E and F, all check, I believe the "nose" of the headstock past the G tuner is a bit more extended than on the Epis of yore. The unveneered limba looks good and already sounded well on the short-lived Epi EB-3 Elite/Elitist a decade or so ago, no complaints there. The big question are the pups which to me look uncomfortably similar to the old ones, new name(-dropping) aside. But I'm prepared to give this a try; if need be I always have some tried and trusted TB Plus lying around!

That natural "korina" look is of course gorgeous, automatically puts me in Allen Collins mood/mode, 10 minute Free Bird solo mandatory!

And to me and the way I play/stand, the Explorer shape is the most comfortable/ergonomic one imaginable.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:55:32 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »
From the pics, this new generation Epi Exi is not all that different - bridge still looks cheesy, but will do the job -

It needs a gold three point!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...