Author Topic: How did I do?  (Read 3921 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
How did I do?
« on: December 14, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

It's a 3/4 scale, but the little bugger plays and sounds great. It's clearly been a player, but it cleaned up nice. I'm thinking future gift for one of my nieces or nephews, though. The small scale really cramps my fretting hand.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:49:12 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: How did I do?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
I'm a fan, $65 you did well  8)
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
BTW, I really like the stock pickups. It may just be the short scale and dead strings, but they don't have the 'cheap-pickup-ringing-upper-midrange-sound' of most low-end instruments. Even with everything dimed, they just sound like good Jazz pickups.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:27:55 PM »
You rascal!  Nice score, nice price!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
Nice score!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:04:37 AM »
Nice deal! ;D
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 04:48:17 AM »
BTW, I really like the stock pickups. It may just be the short scale and dead strings, but they don't have the 'cheap-pickup-ringing-upper-midrange-sound' of most low-end instruments. Even with everything dimed, they just sound like good Jazz pickups.

Yeah, the SX pickups (both J and P) are surprisingly good. I've read numerous tales of people swapping them out for whatever, only to revert to the stock pickups. I have a few of the long scale SXs and they're great bang for the buck. Unfortunately, they were forced to change the headstock style recently, with the new one being less than stellar in terms of aesthetics. Damn lawyers!
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »
Unfortunately, they were forced to change the headstock style recently, with the new one being less than stellar in terms of aesthetics. Damn lawyers!

The new headstocks are ugly, and it's ironic that they were changed because Gibson finally lost their decade old suit against PRS for body and neck-shape trademarks, which is why you're now seeing lots of Fender and Gibson-style instruments that are as close as any 70's Japanese Ibanez from other manufacturers.

I had another post that got eaten by the internet about how the stock strings also appear to have a single copper underwinding. That's strange considering the high cost of copper. 

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:11 AM »
Congrats! I like the MusicMan-esque headstock on that one.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »
The new headstocks are ugly, and it's ironic that they were changed because Gibson finally lost their decade old suit against PRS for body and neck-shape trademarks, which is why you're now seeing lots of Fender and Gibson-style instruments that are as close as any 70's Japanese Ibanez from other manufacturers.. 

Ironic is putting it mildly. I can't begin to figure how that even remotely makes sense...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »
Any time you can get a bass you're happy with for less than $100 that's a score.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:18:49 AM »
Any time you can get a bass you're happy with for less than $100 that's a score.

+1

The new headstocks are ugly, and it's ironic that they were changed because Gibson finally lost their decade old suit against PRS for body and neck-shape trademarks, which is why you're now seeing lots of Fender and Gibson-style instruments that are as close as any 70's Japanese Ibanez from other manufacturers.

The court ruled that PRS' design didn't infringe on Gibson's trademarks, but unfortunately the court didn't invalidate those trademarks. Look closely at LP guitar copies like the ones from Rondo and you'll see that they aren't clones, there are always small differences. It's a lot easier to make small changes than to spend a few hundred thou defending a lawsuit.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »
I'd say at $65, you did just fine indeed!
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
Nice deal! 

What is the scale of a 3/4 size electric?  25.5"-ish?  Bet that would be fun and kinda strange to play at the same time.

I had picked up one of those Stratocaster-minis for my son, and I'm always using it to test gear because its so small and easy to plop down on the work bench.  Its almost like playing a scalloped guitar, since even slight pressure on a fretted string will bend the note!  Really accentuates my sloppy left hand  technique :), so I find myself practicing scales and such on it just to see if I can pull them off and stay in tune.  Heavier gauge strings I'm sure would help - feels like it has 9s on it...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
Great score! I'd love to get one of those for my kids.

Count me in on not being a fan of the new headstock shape on the SX stuff. The word fugly comes to mind...