Author Topic: This one doesn't seem right  (Read 3144 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
This one doesn't seem right
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »

Hornisse

Re: This one doesn't seem right
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
Looks ok to me by the pics.  The contour decal is in the right place and the strings with green silks are definitely Fender strings. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
Looks ok to me by the pics.  The contour decal is in the right place and the strings with green silks are definitely Fender strings. 

+1, especially since he says he'll meet buyer in a guitar shop or other public place.  If I were interested I'd definitely take a look.  Might not bring any cash though. ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »
If she's the "real-deal" why has some perv been keeping her locked up in a box with no light for 45 years...? :o ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Why call it a '65 if the neck dates '64? For 10K, you better have a LOT better pics than that as well as a neck stamp. In this area, any bass of that vintage would have been a player. There was no reason to buy a bass and closet it for 45 years as any bass that made it here had to be special ordered.  With this area's high humidity, a nitro finish ought to be badly checked. Call me cynical, but the odds that is legit around here are slim to none. My first instinct says 'forgery' meant to prey on someone thinking they're getting a screaming deal, but I could just be paranoid.

edit: I just realized I used the world 'also' at the beginning of every sentence but the first in that post, much like Lars Ulrich used to use the word 'obviously' in old TV interviews. He's Danish (English is not his native language) and an idiot. I have no such excuse. My shame is my own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:33:14 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Again, just playing Devil's Advocate...if it was down here I'd at least call the guy to get a gut feeling about him...CL pix are low res unless you use a host site for them.

I've got a near mint '76 Sting Ray that's been in its case under my various beds for the last 30 years.  It's a good possibility if I die tomorrow it might turn up on CraigsList at a bargain price.  My kids don't know what it's worth and would have little interest in finding out.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
That's about the top price you'd pay from a brick and mortar vintage dealer.

Could be legit, but a couple of things don't seem right. The sunburst looks more like the Custom Shop 64 J than an original, and the headstock looks like it has birdseye, which is very rare on an original. Hi-res pics might show otherwise.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
For all the world that neck looks like my Mexi-Jazz neck which was supposed to be based on a '63 neck. If I had that kind of cash, I'd be seriously interested, but I don't want to put myself out to investigate that one. I've played several early 60's Jazz Basses and all of them have been great. That's one reason I love my Mexi so much; it IS very 60's like. I'm also with Dave on the finish; and again, no checking. I'm thinking a re-fin Mexi or aftermarket neck and CS body and hardware. How much would a bass like that cost from Fender's Custom Shop?

Am I just being too cynical? Besides, my only "Gibby" is my Epi Les Paul Standard, and all the Gibson love here leaves me out in the cold.  I do like that Bach EB-2 with the long scale...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 03:19:56 AM »
Yeah, high res pix would help, even a shot of the tuners and control cavity could be revealing.  A legit seller would have no problem with taking it to Gruhn's with a deposit or a contract similar to a real estate deal dependent on a survey or appraisal.

A pro appraisal would make sense even if you thought it was the genuine article.  Assuming it is real I would think a vintage dealer's asking price would be at least 10 -20% higher.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 06:08:16 AM »
Why call it a '65 if the neck dates '64? For 10K, you better have a LOT better pics than that as well as a neck stamp. In this area, any bass of that vintage would have been a player. There was no reason to buy a bass and closet it for 45 years as any bass that made it here had to be special ordered.  With this area's high humidity, a nitro finish ought to be badly checked. Call me cynical, but the odds that is legit around here are slim to none. My first instinct says 'forgery' meant to prey on someone thinking they're getting a screaming deal, but I could just be paranoid.

edit: I just realized I used the world 'also' at the beginning of every sentence but the first in that post, much like Lars Ulrich used to use the word 'obviously' in old TV interviews. He's Danish (English is not his native language) and an idiot. I have no such excuse. My shame is my own.

I understand the scepticism because I'm sceptical about it too. However, I've got and old buddy who picked up a 57 Precision several years ago that was originally bought as a kids birthday present and it was stuffed in a closet and never played. The kid grew up to be my buddys laywer and when bass playing slipped into a conversation they were having 25 or more years ago , my buddy expressed an intrest in the bass and wound up buying it for something like 
$800 . After years of being stuffed in a Michigan closet it showed no checking or any signs of age whatsoever. It was perfect to the point of being unbelievable, but it was the real deal. Every once in while good stuff happens ;).Oh yeah, I tried to buy it from him no less than a hundred times but I got tired of being laughed at and eventually gave up.
Rick

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 07:11:14 PM »
I've got a near mint '76 Sting Ray that's been in its case under my various beds for the last 30 years.  It's a good possibility if I die tomorrow it might turn up on CraigsList at a bargain price.  My kids don't know what it's worth and would have little interest in finding out.

Silly kids...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:31 AM »
A pro appraisal would make sense even if you thought it was the genuine article.  Assuming it is real I would think a vintage dealer's asking price would be at least 10 -20% higher.

When I bought my Waterstone from Gruhns three years ago, all of his 60 Jazz basses were 15K+ and none of them were in that good a shape. Gruhn's also is a three hour drive from the seller's location and nobody else does appraisals. The only people with enough knowledge around here to accurately attest to the authenticity of an instrument like that are collectors themselves and most of them would easily take a bribe to falsify a claim. I've seen it happen more than once: yet another reason I got out of the music retail business here.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »
This one seems like a good old 50/50 - it may be legit, or it could be funny biz. 

most of them would easily take a bribe to falsify a claim. I've seen it happen more than once: yet another reason I got out of the music retail business here.

Amen.  There are lots of good old Musicmasters, Duo Sonics, Coronados, etc with their neck plates, tuners, and pots swapped out.  I wonder "why?"
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.