Author Topic: I am now officially a producer  (Read 1061 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I am now officially a producer
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »
From time to time on here, I have mentioned some recording work I have been doing with some friends of mine who are in a popular local band that had never done a studio recording until now. Now, the album is finished and I'm curious as to what you guys might think of the music and production, so here's a link to the band's Myspace page with a sample, the album's title track: http://www.myspace.com/melungeons

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: I am now officially a producer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »
Congratulations. Sorry I can't hear it though, I'm temporarily on a laptop with a dodgy connection for streaming anything.

nofi

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
excellent!  i like that song and that type of music. reminds me of a mix of the cramps, chickessaw mudd puppies and the flat duo jets if that makes any sense. also the production was much better than most of the stuff i have heard on my space sights. good job by all!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:54:58 PM by nofi »

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
I like it! Good work, and nice bass tone. I see he uses a fender but on the recording it sounds gibby-ish to me. A good thing!
Fleet Guitars

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
Well done - I liked it.  Funny I was thinking that this was kinda Cramps-ish.  And was wondering if this would be called Physcobilly, Freakbilly?  Regardless Lux would have fit right it I think ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:42:04 PM by Lightyear »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
I like it! Good work, and nice bass tone. I see he uses a fender but on the recording it sounds gibby-ish to me. A good thing!

The bass on the whole album is an OLP Music Man copy taken from the direct out of his Nemesis 200 watt 4x10 combo. Funny thing about that; all the instrument tracks with the exception of two guitar leads, one additional harp track and one harp re-take were all recorded live in their practice space and the only problem with leakage I had was a distorted induced vocal on the bass track, which was the result of a speaker cable laid across the bass line-out cable. You can only hear it if you solo the bass and crank it, but I think it's funny.

In a prior incarnation of the band, Brad used an Epi Thunderbird, which was the tonal benchmark I shot for. He's not really a gear head and will pretty much use anything remotely playable. While there is a continuity to all the tracks, musically, each track is also somewhat divergent stylistically. That track is pretty psychobilly, but the rest of the album is a little different, with each track having its own personality.

edit forgot to add: shaker and tambourine tracks were also later overdubs.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:02:49 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
I like it. I detect a little early Hanoi Rocks in there as well but you might have to be an old fan to hear it and it's probably more that they have/had some of the same influences. I want to hear more...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:38:59 PM »
I want to hear more...

As soon it posts there, the whole album has been uploaded to iTunes and a number of other online outlets.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
Not bad... well done...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile