Author Topic: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?  (Read 8051 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
my take on multiple basses, three or more is that you had better be damn good. otherwise people may see you as a poser wannabe or something else just as horrible.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:42:04 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
my take on multiple basses is that you had better be damn good. otherwise people may see you as a poser wannabe or something else just as horrible.

When I was playing for a living, I only had one bass.  I used to break E and A strings so regularly that I could actually break a string, change it, and tune it before the song ended.  There is an irony in becoming too good at doing that.  My band forced me to buy a second bass, which wasn't easy for me then.  Since then, I have always brought a standby for just such a need, and for the occasional tone switch on specific songs.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 09:05:02 AM »
my take on multiple basses, three or more is that you had better be damn good. otherwise people may see you as a poser wannabe or something else just as horrible.
Trust me, I'm only taking two!  :mrgreen:  Any more than that and I would need a different car and a roadie.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
Trust me, I'm only taking two!  :mrgreen:  Any more than that and I would need a different car and a roadie.

You have more than one roadie?????    8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 11:35:47 AM »
I am my wife's roadie, but she doesn't play an instrument.  This is, I think, the Order Of Things.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
I actually had a roadie once - in 2002 I got back together with the band I had left in '95 - I was living in my parents' house after they passed away and let a friend live there with me, in exchange for roadie services. I would walk into the club carrying my bass - everything else was taken care of! Nice while it lasted...  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
... This is, I think, the Order Of Things.

Why do you think they're called SWMBO...?  ;D

Nofi... you are my psychiatrist...! :vader: ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
An upright and an electric because I need both. Having a station wagon helps.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 02:13:22 PM »
Two - whichever one I am going to play and I have a cheap Squire jazz that stays in the car in case I break a string.

Don't play different basses for different music. Have 4 electrics 3 Gretsches, 1 Pbass and 2 uprights (1 plain gut string, the other  metal wrap on synthetic core)

Usually takes a song or 2 before I settle into the bass I am playing and adjust my approach to suit the bass.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
Two always, in case of a problem with one.
It's usually two out of a P Bass, Asat, T Bird or ES 335.
If we are doing an amplified acoustic set, the Ripper comes along.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
I always take two - usually something like my ThunderJet and my '64 EB-0. When we play Sunshine of Your Love as part of the set, I love to use that old EB-0, as it sounds perfect.  it's a good backup too, even if it sounds different than the Gretsch.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »
Zombie thread!
Two basses - typically a Thunderbird and a something Fender-ish, although it's usually an Epiphone/Squier pairing so if a loss is incurred it's not something irreplaceable. If I am forced to carry only one bass, in order to have everything covered I will bring the Frankenstein P-Bird (P-bass with Gibson TB Plus at the bridge). There are, of course, specific situations where I don't adhere to the standard, and anything is possible.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

40Hz

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:41 AM »
Live gig: 2. The one I expect to play plus a backup.

Recording session: as many as I think I might be asked for, although I'll always bring my Ripper and a PBass along. 85% of the time, all I'll be asked to play is the Precision. However, the Ripper has been gaining more attention and interest of late. Small wonder considering they record like a dream. I'm starting to see a few in studio instrument collections too. Maybe these producer types are waking up?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2016, 06:22:21 AM »
Sixer and electric upright for me...sometimes a Dano Longhorn just because it's so much fun to play.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
I bring whichever I'm going to play (90% of the time it's the Gibson LPB-1), plus usually a cheapo Danelectro DC circa 1999 as a backup in case I break a string.

When I was in a more proggish band that did material I could barely play, the Dano became my main gig bass for a while because it weighs nothing and has a skinny neck and the sound worked for the band. I'm not sure it looked the part (too surfy) but nobody complained - people occasionally complimented me on it too.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy