Author Topic: Kubicki Ex-Factor  (Read 16103 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: Kubicki Ex-Factor
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
Small world.....I live in NYC area and New Orleans, Louisiana. But the only other Kubicki I recall seeing down in LA besides mine was played by Kenny Gradny of Little Feat.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 10:53:21 AM »
He still does, only saw him a few years ago with it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
As they don't come up very often...

Ex Factor on greedbay
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
Love that green. I wonder if they actually sell for that much.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 04:09:07 PM »
Is that like a sea-foam...?

No bids...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Is that like a sea-foam...?

I think the colour is called Bahamas Green.  I owned a fretted one briefly a couple of years ago - very nice bass to play, but the 80s voiced EQ didn't give me any usable options in the bands I played with.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
Yeah, Bahama Green is the official name. One of the more desirable colors. Plus it is a "Factor" and not an "ExFactor".....meaning it is a 34 inch scale without the drop D.

If it was a pre-Fender one...it would be gone in a flash! It's a Fender one with the Fender electronics they cheaped out on. Phil told me he made very few fretless ExFactors. He said roughly "one in twenty five," compared to fretted ones. So out of the approximately 1250 pre-Fender ones, that makes around 40 fretless ones.

I would think his post Fender ratio would be close to that. Who knows what Fender did.  Fender cranked out roughly the same number of Kubickis in just a couple of years that Phil took almost 30 years to build.

Still a nice bass and the rarer non-D one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:40:18 PM by mc2NY »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
Ah... a mere novice, my Lord... ;)

I've got to admit, I really like that fretless...

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
I've never laid hands on a Kubicki but I found this thread to be fascinating!!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »
Not what most bass player think of when you mention a Kubicki....but here are two Kubicki PBasses I have. NOT just a Kubicki neck bolted on some other body, these two are complete Kubickis!!

CRAZY rare to find Kubicki Fender style bodies. He did his Fender style stuff prior to his headless basses, so most are early 80s or before. Since Phil did a lot of the custom builds while at Fender in the 60s and early 70s....and he was the First and Only guy for awhile, licensed to make Fender copies after he went out on his own....his Fender copies are essentially the original "Fender Custom Shop" builds.

He must have have the original templates because his necks and bodies are the best I have ever found. Whether he was making a 50s or 60s one, it was dead on.

These two PBasses are both "A" neck Jazz profiles, like I prefer. Killer basses. I sold my Fender reissues when I found these.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4e5305a7.jpg.html

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
Jon... a vague memory thing from threads long past... someone posted some highly figured P/J style necks... was that you, and were they his...?

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »
Yeah, that was me. Here is the pic. I had asked Phil to make a couple Fender bodies for me worthy of these NOS necks he made, dated from the early 80s.

He wasn't really licensed to do Fender copies any longer but I was hoping he'd make an exception.
He was working with me to make me a travel bass like his mini Les Paul and V guitars he did back in the early 80s....but I'd sent him ideas to do a mini TBird. Unfortunately, he got sick and said he didn't think he'd have the time to finish the project.

Anyway....here is that shot of the necks. The fretted is an "A" neck Jazz and the fretless a "B" width.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media-full//KubickiBassNeckPair_zps94836214.jpg.html

Here are a couple of Teles Phil made that I have. One is topped front and back with Wildwood from the 60s Fender Coronados. The butterscotch '52 copy was made for the late Howie Epstein of Tom Petty's band just after he joined the band....order was changed at the last moment from '52 spec Tele pickups to the set of rare prototype Barden Strat PUPs.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps22abf7d7.jpg.html

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
Got to ask... why have you never had them mated to a body...?

Now, I know you're a serious collector, but... is it like, something so beautiful, you'd hate to find out the playability didn't live up to the looks...?

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
I've only had these two necks for a couple of years. Haven't found the right body for them yet.
I've already got my main players, so I wasn't in a hurry. Plus I had some other projects in line before them.

Gettin' there.....