Author Topic: History of the Ibanez Iceman Bass  (Read 25522 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: History of the Ibanez Iceman Bass
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 04:11:14 AM »
Maybe I find a cheap one with the minibuckers once. Maybe replacing those by other minihumbuckers or TV Jones could help.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
The modern ICB 200s had a budget feel to them, true, but not in a discouraging way. In fact, the alder body chequered one is even lighter and feels even "cheaper". The sound is nothing to write home about, but does what it needs to do and if you can't make yourself heard with it in a rock band without people complaining then you should perhaps pick up tennis or fondle your Ritter bass.  :mrgreen:

The ICB 300 EX feels like a real instrument already, the Sharlee Signature thing like a tank, but reassuringly expensive "substantial" (I'll admit that a heavier bass always feels worthier to me than a lighter one).

I agree, the nineties ICB 300 felt better than the modern ICB 200, in fact it didn't feel much different than, say, a P Bass would. The ICB 500 otoh was already a little petite for my taste (slightly smaller body) and its very middish - nicely middish though, not nasty and cheap - sound might not be for everyone. Certainly not a Chris Squire sound bass, but probably a great fretless one.

I still think that if a TBird and an Explorer had a romantic night together, the Iceman would be the love child (with a Ric 4001 as a nanny!) they would be proud of years after.  :mrgreen: Chris mentioned it first and he is right though it never occurred to me: There is also a 4001 influence in the design which is why I like it so much. When push comes to shove then TBird, Explorer, 4001 and of course the Iceman are my favorite bass shapes (plus the Kubicki Factor, but that echoes the 4001 as well me thinks). In comparison, the P bass is a utilitarian visual crime.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 02:42:06 AM »
I stil find some new Iceman basses. I already new the chequered one was available with red/white blocks and black/white blocks, but I also found this one:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/product_news/pages/2010/SpringSpecial/images/ICB010_02.jpg

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:30:32 AM »
That is nothing different than an ICB 200 EX with a - very - silly fin. I even played one. Felt and looked as budget as it was. it was offered for Euro 200 only and I still passed. They devalued the product with those IMHO.

What they should offer is a nice upmarket version in a classic, non-metal look. Sort of like a TBird. Icemans appeal to TBird players, Pete Way has even played them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:43:20 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 07:19:30 AM »
A plus one on that.