Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26134 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
I noticed the coil switch doesn't have as much noise as I'd expect from going fully single coil.
And somebody in this thread (sorry I forget who) mentioned there's a capacitor wired to the switch.
I wondered what that could do?
A bit of googling turned up this excerpt of this article - the description sounds pretty accurate for how the switch behaves:

Tuned Coil Tap

This pickup wiring is featured in some Gibson guitars and basses. It resembles a coil split, because there’s a connection to the junction of a humbucker’s two coils. But it also resembles a tap, because it doesn’t take the coil out of the signal path. Instead, it sends signal to ground through a capacitor, which filters only certain frequencies. This provides a gentle midrange scoop—like a single-coil, there’s more apparent high end, but much of the humbucker’s low end remains (as do some of the hum-canceling properties). Changing the capacitor value alters the tuned coil tap effect.

- from https://www.guitarplayer.com/technique/get-smart-taps-splits-and-tuned-coil-taps-demystified
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2020, 05:03:22 AM »
I stay with my first impression: this bass is the perfect bass for people who want a Gibson sound and are used to Fender guitars: Pickup in the middle, not very small body and neck, good for finger style. Being used to a Fender-style bass (so almost ANY other bass) you feel strange playing a Tbird or EB3. This one feels more natural. And the coil tap brings you a bit more into P/Rock territory.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »
Agreed with the above...except...

I find the coil tap to be not particularly useful...the double coil mode has a very useful mid-range bump for cutting through the mix...and this is pretty much from a Fender guy...

It does get a very pure bass sound that sits very well in the mix. Love it so far. Specially the short scale.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
Isn’t this bass using the exact electronics that is used on the neck pickup of the EB bass?
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
yes.

The placement is closer to the bridge, though. Neck pickup on the EB tends to woof a little bit more (more sub-lows).

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
I've never seen anything about what difference there is between the neck and bridge pickups of the EB. Bridge pickups are often wound a little hotter but who knows in this case.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2020, 12:26:34 AM »
I've never seen anything about what difference there is between the neck and bridge pickups of the EB. Bridge pickups are often wound a little hotter but who knows in this case.

I've had two EB basses in with broken bridge pickups, and the new units I got from Gibson (marked EB Bridge) measured roughly the same as the neck units. Maybe I have written it down on the orders, if I can find them.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2020, 07:18:05 AM »
Could the only difference be just lead wire length?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
Or maybe the polepiece spacing is a little wider at the bridge.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
It looks like the clearance price might be over. Guitar Center raised the price on its remaining cherry stain basses back to 999.00.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2020, 08:29:07 PM »
CME still has their worn white exclusive run at $749. They're out of other colors. Sweetwater, Sam Ash and zZounds/American Musical are completely out. It must be discontinued.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »
Oddly, GC has re-listed the two versions of the DC Les Paul guitars keeping the price drop. They even have three color choices for the LP Special. Why sell six strings at a clearance price & sell basses at full retail? The stores actually raised the price after Presidents Day, but price matched the on-line price. This could be the last short scale LP bass for many years...........

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 05, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
You don't hear about the 2011 bass (below) and it's likely you won't hear much more about the LP Junior Tribute DC bass, either as time goes on.

https://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/05/09/gibson-releases-lp-junior-dc-bass/

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:08:01 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #298 on: April 05, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »
Yep, probably another gone quick and forgotten.
It's too bad. Initial misgivings aside (from trying one with terrible action in a store through an amp I didn't like), I really like the one I got.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2020, 03:00:43 PM »
I'm glad I acted in time. I learned from past mistakes to strike while the iron is hot.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal