Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Gonna try a new toy!

<< < (3/3)

Pilgrim:
It's here!  I spent a couple of hours messing with it yesterday, and I'm very pleased.  It does need a preamp to adapt the piezo pickup output to a standard bass amp, and reviews indicated that preamp should have an impedance of 1 MegOhm or more, which is not typical of most preamps made for electric bass. I checked everything I had, and discovered that a (lowly) Behringer BDI21 modeler-driver-DI that I haven't used in years had the right impedance. I have it in the signal chain and the NXT bass sounds very upright.

It's definitely more work to play than a BG, but a lot less than an acoustic upright where your fingers have to generate the energy. My left hand got tired after a while from working the strings, and I had to take a break for a while. But I am certainly enjoying it, and I'm pleasantly surprised that the neck feels familiar although I haven't played upright in 40 years.

Some photos, including the carry case:

Highlander:
 8)

Dave W:
You never forget completely. I could probably play a little cello if I had to, and that's been over 50 years.

Pilgrim:
Agreed. Funny thing, I tend to overshoot on finger placement rather than undershoot. Either I'm simply losing track of hand placement or I'm unconsciously overcompensating for the longer scale length. I suppose it could be both.

uwe:

--- Quote from: Dave W on February 10, 2018, 07:00:38 PM ---You never forget completely. I could probably play a little cello if I had to, and that's been over 50 years.

--- End quote ---

Together with the bassoon, that would really calm you down.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version