Author Topic: Did we already know that Jason Lollar made Thunderbird pickups?  (Read 1656 times)

n!k

• View Profile
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Did we already know that Jason Lollar made Thunderbird pickups?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:56:41 AM »
I didn't. So now you don't have to route the holes larger for the TB Plus anymore. Less output, which makes sense as the Epi pups are loud and middish, just right if you want to hear yourself well over a smaller beginner's amp.

That said, if the new chrome hardware limited edition sells well and if the Pro IV and V take off, then it is my guess that the current Epi TB model will be deleted or see a facelift including hardware and pups.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »
$180 each!!! ???  Does that seem high to anyone else? I mean for putting in a $300 bass.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 10:44:23 AM »

I had heard that he was doing these somewhere, I think from Evan @ BassNW. Incidentally he's not who makes the chrome pickups for Mike Lull even tho Lollar and Mike's manufacterer are somewhat local to the Seattle area  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
$180 each!!! ???  Does that seem high to anyone else? I mean for putting in a $300 bass.

High compared to the cost of the bass. Not out of line for a handmade pickup by a well respected maker.

I'm glad he still has this testimonial on his site:

I received my Charlie Christian pickup on Friday, and following your instructions dropped it into a Tele, and have played that guitar ever since.

At the Friday night show, pretty girls sought my attention and laughed at my witty conversation. Even the bass player bought me a drink. My dandruff cleared up during the Saturday afternoon session, and by Saturday night's gig even my wife offered me sexual favours. This morning I realized the waistband of my jeans was much too large, and that I had developed x-ray vision.

Now men no longer kick sand in my face, and it's all thanks entirely to Lollar Pickups.

Very tasty.

Stuart Nisbet
Edinburgh, Scotland

How can you argue with that? :mrgreen:

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
I'm getting some of those!!!!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 12:40:40 PM »

Take it from me...................
 Excessive manliness is highly overated Andy  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
DAMN those pups are PRICEY! Except if he means "180$ per pair".
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
I had heard that he was doing these somewhere, I think from Evan @ BassNW. Incidentally he's not who makes the chrome pickups for Mike Lull even tho Lollar and Mike's manufacterer are somewhat local to the Seattle area  ;)

Wolfe McLeod?  Jason Lollar made me a custom one-off for my EB-1 project that was just awesome.  At the time, about 3 years ago, he only charged me $120.  It was because of that pickup that I dropped a Lollar P in my Bettie Page bass.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
DAMN those pups are PRICEY! Except if he means "180$ per pair".

That's an each price...............Thunderbirds are the high priced spread.............as they say ;)