Author Topic: The Ventures!  (Read 963 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
The Ventures!
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:39:34 PM »
Here's four great tunes by the Ventures recorded live in Japan in 1965. I bought the CD and all it's 29 songs are as good as these. Mel Taylor has to be singled out was one of the greatest rock n roll drummers who ever lived. Listen to his drumming on Bumble Bee Twist, the third tune, he drives that band hard! They could all play and those Mosrites (sorry Dave) sound great.
Mel Taylor was the older brother of bassplayer Larry "The Mole" Taylor of The Canned Heat which I didn't know until recently.

rahock

• View Profile
Re: The Ventures!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:39:18 AM »
That was great. When I was a young tadpole I used to listen to the Ventures and Duane Eddy and marvel at what they could do with an electric guitar. It was absolutely magic to me ;D.
The thing about Mel Taylor is interesting too. Larry Taylor is one of my all time favorites.
Rick

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »
Used to see 'em a lot in those days in Japan. They did a brief sponsorship for Guya Tone amps. LOved the way they lined up the drums, amps and themselves so neatly. There used to be Japanese shows with Venture type instrumentalists with sometimes up to 15 guitarists, one bass & one drum lined up all playing the same notes. A form of beauty and weirdness.Then the Beatles came along and changed the score.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:30 PM »
Until recently, I used to think The Ventures music was kinda simplistic. Now that I have to learn the stuff I'm finding the bass lines are often more intricate and varied than I thought. It doesn't help that the bass is often drowned out by the guitars.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I can see the headlines: Bass drowns in surf rock! ;D

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:32 PM »
I can see the headlines: Bass drowns in surf rock! ;D

:D

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »
Until recently, I used to think The Ventures music was kinda simplistic. Now that I have to learn the stuff I'm finding the bass lines are often more intricate and varied than I thought. It doesn't help that the bass is often drowned out by the guitars.

Wait till you try Surf Rider...perhaps the least documented surf tune. I gave up on trying to come anywhere near the original bass line. The Venture are VERY good at what they do!!

There are many subtle runs and variations in a lot of the better surf music...and the style matters, too.  BTW..I'm at a conference...will try and get time to send you some ideas.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
Awesome!!

That bass sounds almost uprightish at times.