Author Topic: Bought a 65(?) EB-3  (Read 12306 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Bought a 65(?) EB-3
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
I'm not sure of the year yet, haven't gotten it home but it has the old non-adjustable bridge, wide spaced knobs etc. It had a small crack in the headstock repaired years ago but overall is in pretty good shape for it's age, neck is straight and the frets are good. It is ugly though, it's walnut which I never really liked anyway but it's got heavy dark player marks on it in several places and there is a line in the neck where the repair was done where it gets lighter. I'm not sure whether to go for full restoration or to try to fix the dark and light areas. The dark area is really dark though and doesn't look like it would be easy to color that area. Anyway, what's involved in doing a new finish on these, would it be a big job the change the color to Cherry? It's not like this bass is a mint original. Does anyone know a place who knows these old Gibsons who could do a good job on a refin? Lastly, how much would i be looking at for a good refin job? I'll try and post a few pictures soon.

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Bought a 65(?) EB-3
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »
Here's the front

In looking at it now it's looks like someone may have stripped the finish off it at one time, what do you guys think?

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:16:21 AM »
neck

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
I would have preferred to post larger pictures but they were too large, over the 320 kb limit.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:39:10 AM »
please leave it alone. my 2 cents. i don't understand why people buy old/vintage instruments and want to make them look new again. its like you erase the instruments entire  life prior to your ownership.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 08:44:24 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »
Unless the finish is beat to heck, it's kind of neat to leave it alone. I like the color myself.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with a period correct refin if it will help hide repairs and strange looking wear. A solid color could be nice too.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
I bought a '64 EB-0F with a poor walnut refin. Had it refinished period correct, no regrets.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »
I'm on my phone and cant see the photos well but is that even the original finish? If it's been stripped already I would hesitate to refinish it but if it's original I'd leave it beat up and ugly. You can't fake 50 years of patina and experience no matter how hard you try.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
I'm on my phone and cant see the photos well but is that even the original finish? If it's been stripped already I would hesitate to refinish it but if it's original I'd leave it beat up and ugly. You can't fake 50 years of patina and experience no matter how hard you try.

I don't know if it is the original finish, when I heard about it the guy told me it was natural and I was expecting a nice light color under some clear coat so when I saw it I assumed it was walnut but there doesn't seem to be any clear or paint on it so I  then thought it had been stained. Was Walnut a stain or a paint? I am starting to think it has been stripped, I won't have it for a week or so so can't take it apart to see what's under the pickup, guard etc.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 06:05:09 PM »
Look under the pickup or inside of the control cavity. The original finish is many times visible in these locations.............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 07:12:55 PM »
I vote refin. I love my instruments to look as lovely as I do at age 64.

Seriously, why not have your bass look sharp on stage? Or as you remember them as a youngster?

The only people in the audience who love the "roadworn" or BTS finish are other musicians looking to take over your gig slot or your job in your band.   

I'd leave a pristine "closet queen" alone, but otherwise, why not flatter the bass and the player?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
I don't know if it is the original finish, when I heard about it the guy told me it was natural and I was expecting a nice light color under some clear coat so when I saw it I assumed it was walnut but there doesn't seem to be any clear or paint on it so I  then thought it had been stained. Was Walnut a stain or a paint? I am starting to think it has been stripped, I won't have it for a week or so so can't take it apart to see what's under the pickup, guard etc.

Bob, if you want, email your larger pics to me and I'll put 'em up on my photobucket.

I've never seen a walnut finish EB-3 that early, but if it was, it would have a gloss clearcoat.

If it were mine, I'd refinish. Are you still in New England? You might check with Krishna at the Guitar Garage in Boston.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
Thanks Dave, I emailed links couldn't figure out how to get attachment in the mail. There is definitely no clear coat on this bass so I think it was taken off and yes I'm still in Ma. I'll check out Krishna the guitar garage.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:37:50 PM by bobyoung »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »