Author Topic: Come on, Dee  (Read 3326 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Come on, Dee
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
Nobody's going to confuse your over-the-hill band with the Twisted Sister Food Truck:rolleyes:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Come on, Dee
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
Deplorable. I thought Herr Snider knew better than to make a schmok out of himself.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
Wait...you were expecting different from these fools?
Guess I'm lucky - I grew up within their "touring" region and got wise to them (and their mediocrity) before they became MTV video regulars.
Bowling Alley entertainment at best, and they've never brought anything tangible to the table...especially after Dee opens his pie-hole to speak.
You can't cover up stupid with make-up...but they tried.
Dee's the one person who actually made Tipper Gore look like SHE had a clue.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Stupid name for a food truck anyway. They should drop the sister and call it "The Twisted House of Hunger".

No, wait. That name is mine and if anyone tries to use it I will sue them big time.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
I don't think Snider is brainless, heavy-handed as TS' music always was. I saw them on the Come Out And Play tour, I was entertained, let's put it that way. It was so OTT, it made Kiss look introvert and muso-like.

But this is bad enough Lil Lars of you know who could have come up with it. For a band that looked like a bunch of truckers dressing up as the New York Dolls and whose music sounded like dumbed down Kiss, TS should perhaps not be so overtly aggressive in asserting their alleged IP.

Come to think of it, if that food truck had captioned itself "Food of Thunder - Hotter than HEll!", then good old Gene would have probably offered them a franchise agreement, but not hit them over the head with a cease and desist.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
Twisted Schiesser (or something soundalike) House of Hunger
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »
If Dee had been cool, he would have offered the food guys a new paintjob for their truck showing the link to TS' website. That is called advertising.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
If Dee had been cool, he would have offered the food guys a new paintjob for their truck showing the link to TS' website. That is called advertising.
That would be a class act, thereby nullifying any chance of these clowns actually doing anything like that.

They were nothing like the NY Dolls, who brought the attitude and style along with something raw to the table.
These guys were schnooks, who may have shopped at the same lingerie counter as the Dolls, but that's where any similarity ended. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »
Having seen both bands I can only say that TS are ham-fisted and the Dolls ballet dancers.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »
Having seen both bands I can only say that TS are ham-fisted and the Dolls ballet dancers.
That works.
Having seen both bands, the Dolls were genuine and you got a sense that they were trying like hell to drive something home.
There was realness to that band. They made mistakes and miscues on stage and got through it all - sort of controlled chaos.
I liked them - they had cool about them...there wasn't much cooler than Killer Kane - he looked sinister...and as a youngster, I was scared of him.

TS always seemed like they felt they were entitled to be your stage and they tried to show just how "New York" they were.
They were/are as phony as the day is long in my book, and they were not well liked in that area, regardless of what Dee will tell you. 
The parking lots were logjams during their shows.  Lots of smoking, drinking and fistfights outside of a TS show.  The Parking Lot was the place to be.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
Remember, Dee Snider, Sarah Jessica Parker and Mr. Ed have never been seen in the same room at the same time.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »
i saw the dolls a couple times, way better live than recorded. uwe you must have been in grammer school back then.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
I saw the Dolls (or Johansen and Sylvain plus others) last year or the year before! For the first time, but then I don't believe they ever toured Germany before - by the time they made waves here as a pre-punk phenomenon Maclaren had already mismanaged them to death. They did have a TV appearance in 1973 here though

which went pretty much over everybody's heads - in the heyday of prog the Dolls didn't quite fit in and their image was too intimidating for them to be glam teeniebopper fodder.

And I saw Johansen in his Buster Pointdexter guise in the late eighties in New York. That was good fun, even the lawyer jokes. (I wasn't one yet, but I had just proudly bought a Kubicki Factor at Sam Ash, it was my main bass for the next 10 years and I still have it and play it sometimes!)

I bought "In too much too soon" out of the cut-out bargain bin in 1976 I believe. I liked Babylon, but Stranded in the Jungle convinced me that I had to buy the album. It was probably one of a dozen that sold in Germany! Still prefer it to the first one which Rundgren produced rather flat. I have all their reunion albums - even the new live one. I don't think the Dolls reinvented rock'n'roll, but I'm always entertained by them. And Johansen has real charm and wit.

I have some of the Johnny Thunders stuff too and understand the junkie image appeal, but his voice just isn't as strong as Johansen's and the material had ups and downs to put it mildly. Makes the New York Dolls seem consistent in comparison!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:57:03 PM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »
the original dolls were very loud and kinda sloppy, but in a good way. they came to atlanta twice in 1974. once as openers for mott the hoople and the other as headliner.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead