Author Topic: Over The Rainbow - The Stone Pony  (Read 2840 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Over The Rainbow - The Stone Pony
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »
From last night. I've seen JLT several times over the past couple of years, and this is without a doubt the best band he's assembled (though obviously purpose-built). He was in good voice, and Bobby R has retained his chops as well. Tony Carey was MIA due to either illness or injury (alt keyboard player inserted), but the rest of the band was tight and kicked butt on those old Rainbow chestnuts. J.R. is Ritchie's son for sure, albeit with a slightly more more modern approach. Greg Smith was impressive in holding down the bottom and providing very nice background vocals.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Over The Rainbow - The Stone Pony
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
very cool.  used to be a big fan of Blackmore's Rainbow.
I also used to be a big fan of The Stone Pony...have some great memories of that joint.

Thanks for the pics and the update. 
Good to know that JLT and Bobby are out there kickin' ass and not sucking the life out of some great Rock 'n Roll tunes (like some of these bands that "reunite" and tour).

Hope I get a chance to see them.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
I thought that was Ritchie Blackmore at first. Spitting likeness, needs the fur boots though.

Unforgiveable spelling mistake, it's Ritchie with a t, John! Listen to Made in Japan twice in a row for penance!!!

Uwe
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:02:38 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:45:18 AM »
Carey has left due to differences with the management, which is JLT's management. But Carey has a record of being difficult in band situations.

The whole concept of this could have led to disastrous results. It's like Billy Preston, Klaus Voormann and the son of John Lennon forming a band and calling themselves "Over the Beatles". But, miraculously, I've only heard good things about their performances (the obvious JLT haters aside) and, yes, I'd watch them if they dropped by in Germany (and I usaully avoud tribute bands).

JLT, for all his sometimes embarrassing behavior, is a very good AOR singer and able to adapt to songs Gillan, Coverdale, Dio and Bonnet have sung, which is not mean feat. He still sounds like JLT on each of them (or Lou Gramm ...  ;) ).

Never much of a fan of Rondinelli's drumming, but he can entertain. Greg Smith has indeed a fine voice, I already noticed that when he toured with the last (real) Rainbow line-up. And young Jürgen Blackmore did ask (and received) his dad's ok to do this.

But why does he have to play a Jackson of all brands?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:03:21 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
But why does he have to play a Jackson of all brands?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think the reaction has been almost universal on that one. Jurgen has got Dad's style down, but he's storing some shred under the surface - and the Jackson probably lends itself better to that, as does his choice of Peavey 5150 heads w/6505 cabinets. He only used the Strat for a couple of songs.

I originally heard Carey had some kind of "gastrointestinal disorder", and then the management thing surfaced. I guess that means the business aspect was giving him indigestion.

The turnout was light, but enthusiastic. Unfortunately, the same evening and only a half hour up the road, Judas Priest and Whitesnake were playing. JLT alluded to this at least once during the set, asking the crowd "Do you think Judas Priest and Whitesnake are finished yet?" No verbal barbs were hurled at Coverdale and the obligatory Turner political diatribe was also absent (although he teetered precariously on the edge of politics at one point).

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:30:51 AM »
Forgive me father it has been two years since my last Rainbow listen.

I will now genuflect and return to my pew with my rosary.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:29:20 AM »
Turner is politic? Never before European audiences and I've seen him a couple of times. What views does he have? I'm just curious, anybody with Purple always struck me as largely unpolitical. Yeah, Jon Lord played for the Countryside Alliance which, inter alia, would like to preserve traditional fox hunting and English rural life (whatever that is once these people would not be able to work in the urban centers and make their money for their lovely country cottages there), but that always struck me a typical Brit quaintness, neither dangerous nor to be taken serious. Unless you're a fox that is.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:52:42 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »
I've still got my "Man On The Silver Mountain" single, but no vinyl, and only the 1st 2 on CD, but can't remember when the last time they were played... (the shame of it...)

MIJ is on the Ipod though... is that enough to be granted absolution...?  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
Turner is politic? Never before European audiences and I've seen him a couple of times. What views does he have? I'm just curious, anybody with Purple always struck me as largely unpolitical. Yeah, Jon Lord played for the Countryside Alliance which, inter alia, would like to preserve traditional fox hunting and English rural life (whatever that is once these people would not be able to work in the urban centers and make their money for their lovely country cottages there), but that always struck me a typical Brit quaintness, neither dangerous nor to be taken serious. Unless you're a fox that is.  :mrgreen:

Example: When I saw him play last October, he spent about 5 minutes between songs ripping Sarah Palin, which he prefaced with something like "...and don't be sending me e-mails saying 'cut the political talk". You can figure it out from there. Having said that, it's entirely in keeping with his basic "open mouth and insert foot" philosophy in other areas. Shut up and sing, Joe.

BTW, I recall Ian Gillan ranting and raving about the UK's involvement in Iraq a few years ago...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:45 AM »
Ian Gillan shares with probably 90 % of his island folk the general conviction that Britain should get out of both Iraq and the EU by tomorrow. With no particular preference on the order!  :mrgreen:

Turner is kind of oafish in the things he sometimes says, irrespective whether you prefer Ms Palin to baby seals or the other way around. Gillan can get away with lots of things because he has a sardonic humor, Turner is painfully blunt and unelegant in comparison.

My personal view is that a rock musiscian is free to voice his political views in an interview, but should abstain from it on stage unless his principal body of work is also of (semi-)political nature (like, say, Neil Young). Hitting Ms Palin between songs with the titles (and lyrics!) of "I surrender" and "Death Alley Driver" is about as compelling as hitting Ms Clinton/The Secretary of State between songs called "Wango Tango" and "Get ready, Stormtrooper's Coming" (to mention the opposite side of the spectrum).  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:58:36 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »
My personal view is that a rock musiscian is free to voice his political views in an interview, but should abstain from it on stage

That was my problem with Rage Against the Machine. Political rants after every song. If I wanted to attend a political rally, I wouldn't have paid to see a rock concert! And as far as those guys go - don't the songs drive the point home enough on their own?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »
That was my problem with Rage Against the Machine. Political rants after every song. If I wanted to attend a political rally, I wouldn't have paid to see a rock concert! And as far as those guys go - don't the songs drive the point home enough on their own?

You have to remember that Tommy Morrello's mother was a BIG political activist, and that's always laying underneath everything.  Another Chicago boy made good, btw.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:22 AM »
Yeah, him and the guitarist from TOOL went to high school together in Libertyville!  :o