Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

1980's National Geographic Arctic Shipwreck article. Anyone remember it?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lightyear:
Try your local library - I know this sounds quaint but a good reference librarian can find most anything.  Libraries in Utah should be even better as most all of the library management/cataloging software is developed, marketed, sold and supported out of Utah.

You might get lucky and they might have the issue you want cataloged in their reference section.  At my wife's library they toss tons of donated NG's as they get donated constantly and they don't need 50 copies of every issue.

eb2:
I remember that quite well.  Bass VI summed it up pretty nice.  There was a TV program on it as well.  The thing I remember was a small group of the early lead poisoned were surviving outside the ship, and had buried some including a dead soldier.  The researchers had dug up one of them, and his skin and hair were pretty well preserved, along with his bright red uniform coat.  Also, one of his legs had deteriorated, and it was evidence of a short thawing period in the Arctic.  Which would be surprising outside of the global warming scenario, but does happen.

By the way, has anyone noted that National Geographic has decided to "hip" up its cable channel by introducing the name NAT GEO.  Cool, baby.

Lightyear:
I mentioned your plight to the missus and she went into uber librarion mode  :o - spouting gibberish about data bases and old school book form index of NG that her libray still has.  She says she will try to access her libraies dat base from home - if she can't get in or doesn't find it she'll work on it Monday when she's back to work.

OldManC:
Man, you guys are great! With his initial information I found the article posted by Scott and read through that before finding it linked here along with the other suggestions. Lightyear tell your wife I would be greatly indebted to her if she were able to find more. I'm hoping to track down that back issue once I know the month and year as well.

Thanks guys!

Darrol:
I found something that you might be looking for regarding John Franklin and the expedition involving the HMS Terror and HMS Erebus. It mentions "Franklin Saga Deaths: A Mystery Solved? National Geographic Magazine, Vol 178, No 3, Sep 1990" as a source.

http://www.answers.com/topic/john-franklin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version