Author Topic: Tom Petersson's rig  (Read 6771 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Tom Petersson's rig
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
I just caught this from Facebook.  Looks like he's using a rig that everyone here would approve of.   :mrgreen:

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Tom Petersson's rig
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
 That is a awesome rig ! Tome used Reeves when I saw him at the House of Blues in Cleveland last July. Note Ricks son on Drums, He does a great job fits in nicely, gives the band a kick in the pants.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »
Yeah...But he isn't Bun E. Carlos.... So Tom's using Orange????

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, those are Rockerverb heads, which are part of the Orange guitar line - prolly needs a little extra grind with those 12-strings.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:16 PM »
So Tom's using Orange????

I'm all for Orange, being from Holland and all ......  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, those are Rockerverb heads, which are part of the Orange guitar line - prolly needs a little extra grind with those 12-strings.

Doesn't he use both a guitar and a bass head? Seems to me I read that somewhere.

Yeah...But he isn't Bun E. Carlos....

No, he's not, but Bun E. apparently doesn't want to tour. The show must go on.

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »
Doesn't he use both a guitar and a bass head? Seems to me I read that somewhere.

That's what I always thought, of course, He usually uses Hiwatts which are designed for use with both guitar and bass.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 05:08:47 PM »
Really odd he'd be using Rockerverb guitar heads and not the Thunderverb heads that also have overdrive  and clean channels but are designed as bass or guitar heads....and also have tube reverb. Similar to Rockerverbs but they have lower frequency response for bass use. Maybe he prefers that you can swap the power tubes on the Rockerverb and use either 6L6s, KT88s over 6550s? You can also use either KT88s or 6550s in the Thunderverb but no 6L6s, but it has a contour knob for the mids on the OD channel ad HUGE trannys...clean channel is the same as the Rockerverb.

I use the Thunderverb for grind on my 8- and 12-string bass octaves and an AD200B for the root notes/bottom.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:47:24 PM by mc2NY »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »
Really odd he'd be using Rockerverb guitar heads and not the Thunderverb heads that also have overdrive  and clean channels but are designed as bass or guitar heads....and also have tube reverb. Similar to Rockerverbs but they have lower frequency response for bass use. Maybe he prefers that you can swap the power tubes on the Rockerverb and use either 6L6s, KT88s over 6550s? You can also use either KT88s or 6550s in the Thunderverb but no 6L6s, but it has a contour knob for the mids on the OD channel ad HUGE trannys...clean channel is the same as the Rockerverb.

There's no reason why an amp that isn't running extremely high voltage on its output tubes that can can run 6550's can't run 6L6GC's. The 6550 (and KT88) is just a scaled-up 6L6GC. With most tube instrument amps, the only difference between a guitar or bass version is simply preamp voicing. Bass guitar frequencies are easily reproduced by all by the absolute cheapest output transformers. (If anyone has ever seen the tiny OT in a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp, even THAT is fine for bass with maybe a 3dB voltage drop around 25 Hz.)  A larger power transformer might help give an amp more punch, but considering that tubes actually have a very small relative current swing when compared to their operational voltage, even that isn't going to be that big of a deal. A 6L6GC has a much lower peak current capability than either the 6550A (the spec ALL modern "6550's" are actually built to) or the KT88, so they will overload at low frequencies in a way that compresses the bottom end and makes it 'boom' rather than punch. Anyone who has ever played an SVT and then tries a Mesa 400+ has experienced this firsthand.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »

No, he's not, but Bun E. apparently doesn't want to tour. The show must go on.
Bun E. doesn't need the money, from what I have heard he didn't like doing those Vegas Beatles shows. To bad i was diapointed he wasn't there last year when I saw them but Rick's son does a bang up job.......................and he looks like he is having a ball doing it!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 02:42:40 PM »
Bun E. has also been having back problems the last year or so and cutting down on touring dur to that as well.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »
Maybe his gourmet coffee business is taking off. 

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »
Maybe his gourmet coffee business is taking off. 

Well, ever since Dave Mustaine's coffee was discontinued, the java boosted rock fan has only had one choice:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »
Gene just NEVER stops!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
Gene's a master of tasteful low key marketing.