Author Topic: Thunderbird Display Case  (Read 4424 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Thunderbird Display Case
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »

Just thought I'd share a little something that I ordered quite awhile back - End of August actually that arrived just before Christmas and as I've had a little extra time I've managed to get it installed in the  house. It's a custom made display case built to hold a Thunderbird, it was made by Playola of Texas to my specification( I sent them a tracing of a '76 for size). The finish is a medium oak with a dark blue velvet backing and it has a plexiglass hinged door with a magnetic center latch plus 2 small tab closures at the corners. Overall the case is very nicely constructed and it arrived in very good condition via Fedex Ground it easily holds any of my 'Birds including Bach NR's.
 I have it mounted next to my dining table on the main floor of my house, which I have been remodeling over the course of the year past - almost done too, when it is I'll share some more photos.

Here it is with my white '89.

And with the door open to reduce some image glare.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Re: Thunderbird Display Case
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:24:57 PM »
Thats great I really like that.
Tony

Hornisse

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
Really nice Mark! 

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
Very cool.
Now, you need to work in a spiral staircase into your remodel and line the wall of it with those cases for you entire flock! :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
Very cool!!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
That's sweet, Mark!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
Nice case! Maybe it's just perspective but it seems too close to that chair. I hope you have plenty of clearance.

Remember to keep it closed during food fights.  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
(signs of obsessive behaviour, imho) ;D

Neat...

I propose a regular rotation of stock (you have more than one for every day of the week) but I suspect the Nikki Sixx may be lost in this one... (maybe you could organise colour co-ordinated backings...? ;))
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
Nice Mark! It can be like an ever-changing art piece.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Purty!  I like it!

Now, have you wired some type of low voltage spot, of the proper temperature, to properly illuminate your display? ;) ;D

Also, I like the your light fixture as well - that certainly didn't come from Home Depot :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »
That is all very well with that nice display in the dining room, Mark, but we crave to know what lurketh in the cellar? And not the model train room either.  :mrgreen:

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
That is all very well with that nice display in the dining room, Mark, but we crave to know what lurketh in the cellar? And not the model train room either.  :mrgreen:

Uwe

Well............ ;)

I do have a reputation uphold here, but in this case the location of the *fun devices* ( yes I have a Cat o'Nine tails and many other "toys")
 is the upstairs bedroom - The cellar is The Nasty Habits rehearsal space and my model train building desk.
 I really decided to have the case built after a co worker suggested it....He said " you spend all that money and time with them ( the basses) and you love playing so much how can you not want to show them off? It's definately meant as a changeable display, tho I'll keep the more $$$ basses upstairs :)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:52:19 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
Man, a case like that would show off my new Gretsch...or just about any bass!

NICE stuff, Mark.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
Nice Mark! It can be like an ever-changing art piece.

+1  Mark that is a great idea. Nothing better than a changeable art conversation piece next to the hospitality area based on one of our fav topics  :thumbsup:
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:21 PM »

Ahh.........The bar, yes it's right about where I'm standing to shoot the pics.

Dang! I'm still at work, I'd love a doubleshot of decent Scotch right now  :sad: