Author Topic: Tom Petersson's new Thunderbird  (Read 10357 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Tom Petersson's new Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
I seriously doubt that Lull gives out basses for free.  Sadowsky doesn't either.
Free is the usual arrangement for a 'Signature Model.'  Either that and/or a royalty.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 06:16:32 PM »

Mike does not give basses away to anybody. I recall a conversation with Paul, his office manager with regards to Ahment's 'Bird.... " We upcharged additional for his checkerboard finish and larger body size". T.P.'s is the same thing, buying one of Mike's basses thru a dealer does get a little discount from his list price.
 Even a 3 point has plenty of travel, it's disiked by many but personally I love it, a versetile design.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
I simply NEVER understood the rumour that the original Thunderbird bridges didn't intonate well. Those basses made in the factory have certain tolerances that the builders must follow. I have Never..and I mean Never had ANY intonation problems with all of the birds I have owned. I've owned probably 10 76's in my day and about......5-6 Nr birds and about 7-12 Original Reverses. I never understood why the bridge had to be wider. Alembic bass bridges are basically the same design as well. I think those 3 point pot metal bridges are horrible. They bend and break...very hard to adjust. The USA made ones are better than the Jap 3 points. I personally think the tune-o-matic thunderbird bridge was and still is the best design for a bridge. And I don't understand how a bolt on "Thunderbird" can sound as good as a neck through, but...it's only MY opinion. I never could understand the Boutique Fender style basses that were $5,000.00. Why not by an old P or J bass??? Oh well. to each his own. I'm glad we can voice our opinions here like adults. KENNY!!!!! WOULD YOU TRADE YOUR GOLD BRIDGE/TAILPIECE FOR A NICKEL ORIGINAL 60'S THUNDERBIRD BRIDGE/TAILPIECE THAT WAS OWNED BY LEON RUSSEL FROM LYNYRD SKYNARD???

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
Mike does not give basses away to anybody. I recall a conversation with Paul, his office manager with regards to Ahment's 'Bird.... " We upcharged additional for his checkerboard finish and larger body size". T.P.'s is the same thing, buying one of Mike's basses thru a dealer does get a little discount from his list price.
 Even a 3 point has plenty of travel, it's disiked by many but personally I love it, a versetile design.

Well I guess it's a safe bet there won't be a Gene Simmons model ;D

Leon Wilkerson, Baz.  Off a Tbird that was given him by John Entwistle...how much do you want for it?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:56 PM »
It appears to me the G string saddle is adjusted to it's maximum forward position or very close.  If another high priced machine came from the factory with with a supposed adjustment completely to it's limit it would be considered problematic. Why have a theoretical adjustment that can't be made? ...  I'm glad your bass intonates well.  That might not be the case with a heavier gauge G string.

Without delving into the disagreement, I have a question: wouldn't it be lighter gauge strings or lower alternate tunings that would require more travel from the bridge? In my experience, even if you adjust the trussrod, as the overall string tension increases, the bridge scale has to be adjusted longer to keep the strings from going flat as the neck bends slightly under the added stress.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Without delving into the disagreement, I have a question: wouldn't it be lighter gauge strings or lower alternate tunings that would require more travel from the bridge? In my experience, even if you adjust the trussrod, as the overall string tension increases, the bridge scale has to be adjusted longer to keep the strings from going flat as the neck bends slightly under the added stress.

Yeah, my bad, I was quoting Uwe as to why the original Tbird bridge was in the wrong place, he said it was due to the very heavy gauge strings used.

My point was I would like to see all the strings when properly intonated having some space between the saddles and max adjustment just to take into account different string gauges that might be used...I know intonating the 3 point on my Orville is a bitch.  Adjusting any of the three posts changes intonation across all the strings.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »
My point was I would like to see all the strings when properly intonated having some space between the saddles and max adjustment just to take into account different string gauges that might be used...

Geez Carlo are you sure you're not an engineer instead if a designer? ???  :P

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
Geez Carlo are you sure you're not an engineer instead if a designer? ???  :P

When I design an RTA (ready to assemble) chair it's engineered so that the pieces go into the smallest possible box in order to get the maximum number in a shipping container and bring down the cost by not shipping 'air'.  I also design the packaging and take the pictures for and write the assembly instructions.  This is in addition to signing off on every construction detail.  I'm always seeing what I could have done better and trying to improve.

Engineering is the 95% perspiration that turns the 5% inspiration into reality.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:16 AM »
Well I guess it's a safe bet there won't be a Gene Simmons model ;D

Leon Wilkerson, Baz.  Off a Tbird that was given him by John Entwistle...how much do you want for it?

Simmons =  :D :D :D

And it's WILKESON!  :P

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
You know, the nice thing about fretless - no intonation issues, as long as you got the ear... ;)

KENNY!!!!! WOULD YOU TRADE YOUR GOLD BRIDGE/TAILPIECE FOR A NICKEL ORIGINAL 60'S THUNDERBIRD BRIDGE/TAILPIECE???

Just get yours plated, Baz - same vintage as mine - I'm pretty certain I know why mine are gold-plated, and the source - If you plate yours they'll be pristine, unlike my abused babies... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

I've asked this before but have forgotten what the item was for, the piece below the bridge?
Tony

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »

Hey Tony,

It's called an Opti-Grab ( From the Steve Martin move "The Jerk") and is only present on Nikki Sixx's two different Signature Thunderbirds. Mine is quite special tho, to my knowledge it's the only chrome plated one - ever  ;D   

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »
Thats a nice bass.
Tony

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 05:51:58 AM »
Unnecessarily harsh criticism.  :-\ I would sell off all my basses including the Sadowsky to get a Lull Bird.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 06:18:09 AM »
Unnecessarily harsh criticism.  :-\

I don't think we should confine criticism to Import basses or shnooks selling what we consider inferior crap for inflated prices on Ebay or Craigslist.

Is discussing the merits of boutique basses in a civil manner OK or are we supposed to assume everything sold at a high price is flawless?