Author Topic: Tom Petersson's new Thunderbird  (Read 10356 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Tom Petersson's new Thunderbird
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »

Just a nice shot of Tom Petersson playing his new Lull Thunderbird in Vegas......You can't see it too well in this pic but the pickups are close together and well forward of the "stock" position.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Tom Petersson's new Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
Tom wanted the pickups closer to the neck like a Hofner Beatle bass.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Here's a pic:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
 I like that ! I hate bridge pups they get in my way ! Any bass I have with a bridge pup that sucker get screwed right down as low as it can go...................................or removed!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:27 AM »
 I know. I just built another Hamer 8 string Reverse Thunderbird This time...One pickup...In the sweet spot...the standard single pickup T Bird neck pickup location. I'm thinking...If I don't sell the 12ver t bird...Plug the bridge route and refin it. Leave it a single pickup.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
Very nice bass! I don't like gold hardware normally, but I'd sell one of my bad kidneys for this one!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
Very cool.  :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »
Is it just me or is that bridge way bigger than it needs to be?  Otherwise Cool Bass!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
Is it just me or is that bridge way bigger than it needs to be?  Otherwise Cool Bass!

It's no different than mine except for the gold color.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
No offense Mark but it seems that with the bridge located properly, ala JAE's Fenderbirds, the amount of adjustment on the originals was enough.

The Lull bridge looks clunky to me with the unnecessary acorn nuts and its excess width.  Also, notice how much room there is behind the E saddle.  It's lined up with the centerline of the post and the G saddle is slammed against the front rail.  That's sloppy for a $4k bass IMHO.

It's no different than mine except for the gold color.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:43 PM »
 Ummmm.....
We're all entitled to an opinion so no problem.
The G string saddle doesn't touch the front of the bridge tho, Hipshot designed the part and it fully intonates unlike the original, and it's pretty much the same size as Scott's part too, that's not my opinion, it's fact..........
 Calling it sloppy work is your own uninformed opinion tho, I don't happen to share it, because I own what is in question and know it works and that it's good quality. The bass plays better than any of my others, stays in tune, intones properly, and hasn't needed any adjustment in the year and a half that I've owned it, so the part in question functions well. As it's a very well made bass that quite a few famous players use presently (Tom Petersson's will be a sig model, and Jeff Ahment will have one next year as well, if it's good enough for pro's it'll FOR work me.) I'll keep my opinion and trust Mike's well established credentials as both a luthier, and repairman, you might want to actually own what it is that you claim to have an opinion about.  Oh yeah, one other thing, if you're going price my bass, get it right - $5400.00  ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:00:16 PM by TBird1958 »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
(at least there was a 4 in it...) Oh, you extravagant so-and-so... ;D

I don't have a present close up to hand but the PC has the saddles reversed on the E and A - that's how she came and I've never adjusted - intonation has always been spot-on...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »

And I'm not saying that Mike's solution is the only one by any means.

This is Curt's beautiful Orville, I don't know who's bridge it has on it! Howevr the good Dr Bassman's tailpiece is present. And I'm still pimpin' Scott  ;)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
Ummmm.....
We're all entitled to an opinion so no problem.
The G string saddle doesn't touch the front of the bridge tho, Hipshot designed the part and it fully intonates unlike the original, and it's pretty much the same size as Scott's part too, that's not my opinion, it's fact..........
 Calling it sloppy work is your own uninformed opinion tho, I don't happen to share it, because I own what is in question and know it works and that it's good quality. The bass plays better than any of my others, stays in tune, intones properly, and hasn't needed any adjustment in the year and a half that I've owned it, so the part in question functions well. As it's a very well made bass that quite a few famous players use presently (Tom Petersson's will be a sig model, and Jeff Ahment will have one next year as well, if it's good enough for pro's it'll FOR work me.) I'll keep my opinion and trust Mike's well established credentials as both a luthier, and repairman, you might want actually own what it is that you claim to have an opinion about.  Oh yeah, one other thing, if you're going price my bass, get it right - $5400.00  ;)

I'm a designer, both practical and aesthetic.  I stated my opinion.  It appears to me the G string saddle is adjusted to it's maximum forward position or very close.  If another high priced machine (a Ducati, say, of which I do happen to own two) came from the factory with with a supposed adjustment completely to it's limit it would be considered problematic. Why have a theoretical adjustment that can't be made?  I don't have to own a Subaru to understand the quality and aesthetics of its construction or make an educated guess as to what the shortcomings of its boxer engine might be.  I'm glad your bass intonates well.  That might not be the case with a heavier gauge G string.  I dig Ament's and Petersen's playing but I don't really care that a celebrity will have his name on a bass that he got for free.

The Orville bridge appears to have a similar problem though all in all it's better looking than the Lull.  Again, just my opinion.  I'm a Design and Engineering Fag. ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:41:27 PM by dadagoboi »

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
I seriously doubt that Lull gives out basses for free.  Sadowsky doesn't either.