Author Topic: Thumb pick and Kay Bass  (Read 749 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Thumb pick and Kay Bass
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:12:25 PM »
While searching YouTube for great bass riffs, I checked the Spencer Davis group's "I'm a Man".

I had never noticed that this bass line is played on an old Kay hollowbody with a thumb pick!  I've never seen s thumb pick used in rock before.

GREAT recording of the bass, too...

I can't claim this is one of the great bass riffs, but it's absolutely one of the great rock songs.  Turn it up loud and EVERYONE moves.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

Re: Thumb pick and Kay Bass
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
where have you been? i used one for about five minutes. :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
where have you been? i used one for about five minutes. :)

I musta been in the can unloading a beer.  :bored:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
Bassists using thumb picks were never that common in the 60s but you did see them used in rock and other music. More common with English bands.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:57:29 AM »
I forget how old Stevie Winwood was when he did  I'm a Man but I think he was 17 or 18 when he did Gimme Some Lovin'. WOW.....not bad huh ;D.
Today we have Miley Cyrus at roughly the same age and setting the world on fire. Things are somehow a bit different ???
Rick