Author Topic: Rickengibuild  (Read 1528 times)

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Blazer

Re: Rickengibuild
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »
This bass already had been discussed here and we all agreed that it was a Guild bass fitted with Gibson Pickups, it couldn't be a Rick because Rickenbacker basses don't have back routings and they're not made from mahogany.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
Ah-ha, I should have known everyone here would have already been on it. One of my biggest pet-peeves is people who don't know anything about their stuff on eBay but try to fake it anyway.  >:(
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:02:23 PM »
... it couldn't be a Rick because Rickenbacker basses don't have back routings and they're not made from mahogany.

Actually...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
George, is that Treena's?  ;D

Here's the earlier thread: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1927.0

Not a Gibson, not a Guild, not a Rick.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Dammit Dave, I just spit water all over my laptop!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:31:07 PM »
Do thise people really believe that crap?

I believe it, cos the bass fits perfectly in the Gibson case. It has to be a Gibson prototype!!! ;)

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »
Actually...

That has a mahogany neck but a maple body and it doesn't even remotely resemble the thing in the auction

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »
That has a mahogany neck but a maple body and it doesn't even remotely resemble the thing in the auction

it couldn't be a Rick because Rickenbacker basses ... they're not made from mahogany.

My reply had nothing to do with the monstrosity in the auction listed above, and I didn't write anything to infer that it did. My reply was to your statement about Rics not being made from mahogany. The neck thru 4000 pictured above is most definitely made from mahogany. It may have wings consisting of another wood, but that doesn't transform the mahogany into anything else. Neck thru instruments don't have a body, per se. At least not in the sense that you're trying to imply. By definition, neck thru instruments have a neck (which extends thru the body section) and wings that make up whatever shape the instrument is supposed to be.

I've come to expect ill-informed statements in your posts, Blazer, but before writing out corrections to anyone else's posts you might want to stop and consider that most of the guys who post here know what the hell they're talking about (and probably learned about it first hand when the bass or album your going on about was first introduced/released).

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
Glad you posted the original link - I was wondering what it went for first time round. So at $542 would you assume the original buyer thought it was legit? I guess it wouldn't be still for sale if he did

I mean the parts and case are worth something - maybe $542... 

You could probably get that if you parted it out.

Hmmm I need a Guild bridge actually....